Thread: Oh my god!!!

Oh my god!!!

I turned a piece of walnut this morning (I am a noob at this turning stuff).

Just mounted it to a piece of mdf and a faceplate and started turning. I just wanted to see what was inside the wood and get some time with a gouge in my hands. No expectations at all just listening to Niel Diamond:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0...eature=related

The shape just 'became' what it is. I held the tool and let the Lord guide me in the adventure..

What came from the wood is simply astounding!!

Now I need help, how to turn it around? I don't have a chuck, well I do but it wobbles and I wont be able to get it replaced for at least two weeks.

How do I turn it around to hollow out the bowl without a chuck and without putting scews into the foot?

I was thinking of gluing a piece of mdf just slightly larger than the foot and screwing the 3" faceplate to that but I dont even have a tailstock on the machine yet. Should I just take it off and bag it till I get my chuck replaced?

Other than a few practice spindles on a POS HF lathe this is my second bowl in my lifetime.

Pics:

This is what I started with this morning...

nice wood, dude, but - calm down, eh? mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    nice wood, dude, but - calm down, eh? mike
    calm down???
    Why?

The Lord reveals himself to me through this craft and I should calm down? I don't think so my friend...

It does get exciting at times!! Personally, I would wait until I had the right tools to do the job!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 05-24-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: speling
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    It does get exciting at times!! Personally, I would wait until I had the right tools to so the job!

I am so disappointed my brand new chuck wobbles..

Thanks Steve, I'll just cut a tenon on it and bag it up.

Yeah, I am excitable at times

A beautiful piece of walnut. I suggest that you true up an area at what will be the bottom and glue on a glue block for using a faceplate. Do NOT use MDF. It has no strength at all. A good catch and you have a flying bowl. Also, don't use plywood for the same reason. Could separate. Make a good true surface for the gluing. CA glue works as does Titebond.

Pic shows a nearly finished piece still mounted on a glue block.

Good luck

Wally
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Wally, I'm still at the lower end of the learning curve when it comes to turning.

CA= superglue right?

I already cut a tenon in it and stuffed it in a bag of shavings.

Looks like a good start. Depending on the chuck did you install the taperloc bushing correct? Try resetting it. Looks to me like you are set up on a big bowl lathe there
    Adam

Prettiest walnut I've ever seen! Good going! Get that lathe finished, and show us all about it.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grills View Post
    Looks like a good start. Depending on the chuck did you install the taperloc bushing correct? Try resetting it. Looks to me like you are set up on a big bowl lathe there
    Adam
    Its a SN2 chuck and the adapter just threads into it and then onto the spindle with a set screw through the chuck.

Yeah Adam, it is a big bowl lathe, real big I'll make several little ones and work up to the BIG ones when my confidence and skill level allows.

Beautiful walnut Mark and good to see ya turning. Got to be a good feeling.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is one incredible piece of wood Mark! It is exciting isn't it, I can imagine it's even more exciting to be turning on a lathe you made with your own hands, that's awesome! Looking forward to seeing that beautiful bowl finished.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

I haven't been this excited about anything in a long time

Thanks Bernie, you too Chris.

I'll be turning several more soon enough,,,,,climbing the learning curve...

Stoopid chuck...

Mark, got a ? for ya

Does your threaded insert bottom out against a shoulder on your spindle when you thread it on? I was just wondering if perhaps you had a couple too many threads on your spindle.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Quote Originally Posted by John Fricke View Post
    Mark, got a ? for ya

Does your threaded insert bottom out against a shoulder on your spindle when you thread it on? I was just wondering if perhaps you had a couple too many threads on your spindle.
    As a matter of fact it did John, I used my die grinder and cut off about two threads last night so it would bottom out on the shoulder.