Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router opinions

Router opinions

I am looking for a new router. Would mostly be used on my cheap sears router table. May occcasionally use it off of the table. Nothing heavy duty. The local HD has a Ridged model R29301 with fixed & plunge base, 2 1/4 hp for $189.
    Is this a decent router for non professional use? Are there better brands / deals out there? I will probably wait until June when everybody has tool sales for Father's Day.

Thanks for advice
    Travis

Blog Entries
    If I were buying my first router, knowing what I know now, I would start with the Porter Cable 690. Maybe branch out to a Freud after a while. The PC is a workhorse and works with a lot of aftermarket gadgets.

Make sure you get variable speed if you're going to use it in a table. If you use a big bit, you need to slow it down.

And for hand held use, the soft start is nice - the router doesn't jerk so much at startup.

The 690 is a good router and comes in both variable speed and single speed so make sure you get the variable. There's lots of other good routers for what you describe. I'd go look at what Amazon has on sale and then ask people what they think of the sale ones. There was an Hitachi on sale a while back that many people liked.

I have the PC 890 and the Bosch 1618EVS. Both are good routers but are a bit long in the tooth. There's some good new ones available now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

freud 3 1/4 hp router

I see woodcraft has the Freud 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Plunge Router
    on sale for $50 off to make it $149 w/ free shipping. It has the variable speed & soft start suggested above. Would I miss not having the fixed base or is this a much better, stronger router for less money?

I’m not sure how the FT2200E differs from the FT2010 which typically sells for around $400 Travis but I’d be willing to say that $149 for any 3-1/4 horse router much less a Freud is worth it.
    AB

My .02

The PC 690 was my first router and has served me well. I got it well used with a fixed and plunge base at the local flea market. I still you it now for all my free hand use.
    My router table has a 3hp ryobi vs that works awesome, also got it used.

I do have a fondness for Ridged these day cause of the LSA (lifetime service agreement) and am slowly converting all my small motor tools to orange.

Good luck, I'd recommend the 690, but wouldn't shy away from the Ridged.

Aaron

Blog Entries
    If you're willing to spend $189, spend a little more and spoil yourself. http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616.../dp/B000QV1CXW
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ask people's opinion of this Hitachi unit.

I have no idea if it's good or bad but it's in your price range.

The only issue with a 3 1/4HP router is that it's big - mostly an issue for hand held use.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-24-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Good Call

I like the EVS line, don't think you'd go wrong there either.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you're willing to spend $189, spend a little more and spoil yourself. http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616.../dp/B000QV1CXW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Ask people's opinion of this Hitachi unit.

I have no idea if it's good or bad but it's in your price range.

The only issue with a 3 1/4HP router is that it's big - mostly an issue for hand held use.

Mike
    If you're going to use the table a lot it's very convenient to have above-table adjustability. Triton and some other manufacturers sell some models that have this feature, but with the low price of the Hitachi M12V and the fact that it is a plunge model you can perhaps add a solid but fairly inexpensive router lift (http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html) and have really nice router station. The 3 1/4 HP and variable speed of the M12V makes it a good choice for even the largest panel raising bits, and if you leave it mounted in the table you'll never mind how big it is. I built my router table a while back and wanted to put a big router in it and forget about it; the Hitachi was the option I chose, and I haven't regretted it.

$190 puts you very close in price to some of the well proven top shelf combo kits...Milwaukee 5616-24, Bosch 1617 EVSPK, DW 618, and PC 892 kit. For table use the Freud FT1700 has excellent above table features. The Hitachi KM12VC is an excellent value if you're looking to spend less.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The Ridgid set you mentioned is not a bad at all. However, I agree with those who said to spend a little more and get the Milwaukee that Glen linked to his post. In my opinion, the Milwaukee routers are the cream of the crop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gunn View Post
    I see woodcraft has the Freud 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Plunge Router
    on sale for $50 off to make it $149 w/ free shipping. It has the variable speed & soft start suggested above. Would I miss not having the fixed base or is this a much better, stronger router for less money?
    I have the Freud FT2000E mounted in my table. Great tool - a little big an dheavy for freehand use.

I have a bosch 1617evs kit that was my first. It has lots of power and is real nice. However I recently bought a milwaukee body grip. It is a really nice router for hand use, my bosch has been moved to strictly table use. It you are looking for a good all around router I would buy a milwaukee combo, they are really nice. But you can find deals on the hitachi all of the time, for around $120 for their combo. But for hand use you can't beat the milwaukee. I love being able to strap the router on to my hand, and use the other hand to guide it and move my work piece. Using other routers one handed it dangerous.

router selection

I have a PC690 combo and used it for several years and never had any problems. I use it in a table and free hand. It is a very good bargin and has re-sale value if you later decide to trade-up.