Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bandsaw on a budget?

Best bandsaw on a budget?

I am looking to buy a bandsaw for my shop either a 14", 16" or 17", and wanted to get everyone's opinions on what would be the best bang for my buck. I know MM and Laguna are out of my price range. What are the opinions of the Grizzly 14" and 17" saws?

Does it have to be new? Used might get you more saw, if your willing to work with it a bit to get it up to par. Of course, all new tools need tuned up or at least checked out thouroghly too...

I got a fantastic Delta 14" on craigslist. Check there often, and be early on sending an e-mail.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don't know what your dollar limit is but Rikon has received good reviews on their 14" and 18" bandsaws. The pricing is resonable.

Regards!
    Ed

I have a grizzly 0555 and for under $500 you really cant beat it. And grizzly's 17" saws get great reviews too. For an entry level band saw you really cant beat any of grizzly's saws. Other wise there is craiglist, I searched for about a year and finally gave up and bought a new one. I should have do that a lot sooner.

I bought a Grizzly 0555 several years ago and have been completely happy with it. Put on a good quality blade and it will cut anything you ask it to.

I am trying to keep it under $1000. I have looked on Craigslist, but in South Florida there are not many woodworkers and even fewer that are getting rid of decent equipment.

Matt, used is the way to go. I bought a slightly used Ridgid 06101 jointer on ebay for $215. I had to go from Ft Pierce to Tampa to get it, but it gave me a good excuse to visit my daughter there. Check CL for the Orlando, treasure coast, and miami areas as well. If you go the ebay route, be sure to use esnipe, which places your last bid, up to your highest, with 4 seconds to go.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

I also have the G0555 with riser block. It required very little tune-up and it maintains settings. My only complaint is that the fence is only so-so. But for the price, it is a terrific saw and you can upgrade the fence.

After watching craigslist (4 different cities) for several months and finding only saws that were too small or too big, I bought a Grizzly G0555X with riser block and shopfox mobile base($810 including shipping) and am quite happy with it so far. I considered a 17", but decided I didn't have the space.

deciding factor over other 14" bandsaws: 1 1/2 horse motor, price, cast iron wheels
    favorite non essential features: built in light, solid base that has a built in compartment for storage
    dislikes: the roller bearings on the guides are pretty noisy and a bit touchy when adjusting - to be replaced by guide blocks in the near future so I can use smaller blades

I recently purcahsed a Rikon 10-325 and am very pleased with it. I wanted a saw that I could maneuver myself in a pinch and was able to get it into my basement shop. If I had the space and didn't care about the weight, I would've picked up the Jet 18". They sell one with a 1 3/4 motor that was maybe ~$1100.
    Gary

Blog Entries
    Google search here on G0513. Comes in different flavors. Many happy owners including myself.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grizzly G0512X2. A beast of a saw for a song of a price!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

GO555X with riser block here and very satisfied. It comes with the re-saw fence which is a great fence, in my opinion. Works well for me. I've never had any drift issues at all.

Another person mentioned the roller guides. They are a bit touchy to set up. Once I figured out how to set them properly, they aren't noisy anymore.

Good Luck with your decision.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I am looking at the Grizzly http://grizzly.amazonwebstore.com/Gr...B0000DD0AC.htm

I don't think it can be beat for $395.00.