Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Table saw choice is clear to me...

Table saw choice is clear to me...

I am wondering about those of you who are looking to buy a cabinet saw. I have seen discussions for the past ten or so years and haven't even had the desire to get involved. Mainly because of the choices one has, and frankly, it's usually the same discussions. I decided if you like a certain color, buy it, there's not that much difference at the 2K level. Well, time has passed me by, again, and I stumbled across the Saw Stop. Oh, it's been a while back so it's not that new to me. And at my age and in my particular business, I don't even want to think about buying machinery. But you younger guys, that's a different story. How much does it cost for several sutures in an emergency room, now days? I was there in '04 and after six hours and four stitches, I think it was about a G. How much for a thumb tuck after you lose it? Probably close to 3 grand and you lose the digit forever. I can not see anyone that is willing to pay $1500 for a saw and wouldn't pony up another $1300 and buy a Saw Stop. From what I see, surfing the web, it's a helluva saw and a marvelous innovation built in. You don't loose fingers. I think it's the greatest invention since the power saw. What am I missing? It just can't be the money. People pay more for an extended warranty on their cars and in two years, it's over. And it's a no brainer, to me, if you are hiring people to work for you. I'm sure there are many old posts on this subject, I'm just late to the party. Had it been available ten years ago, I'd have bought one. I'd still have visited the emergency room because it was the router that bit.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Man, you're such a buzzkill.

I don't think they are worth the extra money.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Reminds me of the Montgomery Gentry song “You do Your Thing, I’ll do Mine”

I sure get tired of these SS lecture posts….
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

After using a Uni for 25 yrs I cut the end of my index finger off. I bought a Sawstop to replace the Uni. The purchase was as much for my 25 yr old son as for me. Its a great saw and came setup perfectly straight out of the box. It was worth the price to me.

Refer to one of the many posts...

There have been numerous "debates" on this very topic, no sense in rehashing the same tired arguments. Here's one of the more recent ones:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109203

I think both sides of the camp were well represented. I for one am in the SS camp.

HTH
    Andy

Reminds me of a story:

I sold my Unisaw about a year ago, and they guy that bought it cut a test piece, a 4"x8" piece of 3/4 maple. Before I could say anything, he proceeded to move the fence out of the way and RIP the piece freehand (and at an angle, no less)!

How many people like him are accounting for all of the horror stories we hear about TS injuries?

1. Make sure your stock is flat.
    2. Make sure the edge riding against the fence is straight (if you don't have a straight edge, use a bandsaw or make a rip jig).
    3. Riving knives are nice, but be sure you at least use a splitter.

It's not that hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    I am wondering about those of you who are looking to buy a cabinet saw. I have seen discussions for the past ten or so years and haven't even had the desire to get involved. Mainly because of the choices one has, and frankly, it's usually the same discussions. I decided if you like a certain color, buy it, there's not that much difference at the 2K level. Well, time has passed me by, again, and I stumbled across the Saw Stop. Oh, it's been a while back so it's not that new to me. And at my age and in my particular business, I don't even want to think about buying machinery. But you younger guys, that's a different story. How much does it cost for several sutures in an emergency room, now days? I was there in '04 and after six hours and four stitches, I think it was about a G. How much for a thumb tuck after you lose it? Probably close to 3 grand and you lose the digit forever. I can not see anyone that is willing to pay $1500 for a saw and wouldn't pony up another $1300 and buy a Saw Stop. From what I see, surfing the web, it's a helluva saw and a marvelous innovation built in. You don't loose fingers. I think it's the greatest invention since the power saw. What am I missing? It just can't be the money. People pay more for an extended warranty on their cars and in two years, it's over. And it's a no brainer, to me, if you are hiring people to work for you. I'm sure there are many old posts on this subject, I'm just late to the party. Had it been available ten years ago, I'd have bought one. I'd still have visited the emergency room because it was the router that bit.
    and in other news

THIS JUST IN****** Japanese attack Pearl Harbor!!!!!!!!

lol
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-27-2009 at 11:03 AM.

The only problem is $$$. Maybe you don't have a budget but some people do! Some people have to feed children and put them through school, and in general use their money responsibly. When the budget says "There is only $1000.00 in it for a TS, what do you do...not buy a contractor saw and build things? Wonder what Sam Maloof used??? Do we only start woodworking when we can afford a SS?

Let's say someone doesn't have the money to buy a SS now. Should they not even go to a local Woodcraft and use their PM's or Deltas while spending the who knows how many years their budget will take to get the money to buy one? I don't know where you guys get 2K+ to spend like it's nothing. I can definitely see where that kind of money would eat so much percent of someones available resources as to make that choice suspect unless they had reached a certain income level. Great, once you've reached that income level. By all means then, but until then, other choices may be just as valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Benton View Post

1. Make sure your stock is flat.
    2. Make sure the edge riding against the fence is straight (if you don't have a straight edge, use a bandsaw or make a rip jig).
    3. Riving knives are nice, but be sure you at least use a splitter.

It's not that hard...
    Add

4. Leave all guards in place.

I am with Bruce on this one - this horse has been beat to death. But, while we are here, I will add my thoughts.

There is something about a healthy dose of fear and respect that makes one cautious. I wonder if the confidence one might have with a SS would cause one to be somewhat less cautious around other spinning amputation devices.

Sort of like the #1 rule with guns - as my Dad always told me, there is no such thing as an unloaded gun, they are all loaded and you treat them that way.

All machines can hurt you - and you treat them that way.

Your pricing assumes no insurance.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Reminds me of the Montgomery Gentry song “You do Your Thing, I’ll do Mine”

I sure get tired of these SS lecture posts….
    Me too.
    I dumped a perfectly good 2 yr old PM66 for a SS a couple years ago. Never felt the need to convince anyone. My choice, my money end of story
    Dan

The Saw Stop is the table saw to get if using a table saw scares the icky stuff out of you. How did anything get built out of wood before the SS?

Blog Entries
    I cannot understand how such wonderful woodworking projects ever got built before there was Saw Stop, Festool, EZ Systems, etc......

Go around to some of the nicer homes that are being built and see how many trim carpenters and cabinet builders are using these expensive tools. You will probably see Bosch and DeWalt portable TS's on the job site. It's not the tool, it's the man that is using the tool. I have seen a lot of beautiful custom cabinets built with a DeWalt portable saw.

I know that I will never be able to afford these expensive tools so they mean absolutely nothing to me..........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution