Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flooring Advice

The floor is in my house and is butted-eased edge-with biscuits/ dominos .
    On some planks I put relief cuts in the back.
    The edges were done one at a time with a joined together festool straight edge- circa 18'.
    I V carved poetry in the floor on the shopbot and filled it in latter with coloured epoxy.

It was a bear to do and I blew up the cutterhead on my 16" hammer j/p and fried the feed motor on my woodmaster sander.

My thinking started like yours when the lumber arrived .....I probably wouldn't do it for a customer, but would do it again for myself.

Major brownie points were scored with the wife.....put a value on that!

I hate working Jatoba! think Byrd headed planer or kobalt tooling

Good luck!

My first job with Jatoba shattered the bearings in my Powermatic planer, the head rolling around in there ruined the planer. Gave me the reason I needed to buy my SCMI 520. Lets see, 21K job 9K planer, ya, not making any money on this job....

I did two desk tops, 11.5 hours apiece to flatten them.

I too am avoiding Jatoba on paying jobs unless its a money is no object project.

Alister, I thought there might be a few biscuits, well at least around the carving where you couldnt use screws.

I have a Hammer A3-31 and I have been dealing with Byrd for a few months now. I managed to get the specs and a drawing from Felder for my machine after a confidentiality agreement was signed by all parties. My Shellix is due to arrive next week provided the bearings find there way from DE to my rep in Vancouver in a reasonable order. After my last go arounds with Jatoba I was not about to try without one as the tearout led to far too much time behind or over a sander. There have been many times when I wish I would have chosen a different wood species.

Please post a close up of the engraving if you have one and dont mind sharing. Thats a nice touch. I would like to see a pic when its done.

Brad

brad, if your goal is to make something other than the typical short length floor seen in most houses, how about a herringbone or parquet pattern or other such thing?

that would give you an excuse to cut it to short lengths, and still wind up with something unique.

Heres a couple.
    I thought briefly of trying the byrd conversion on the hammer, but needed a planer right away so bought a 20" 4 post and slapped one in there while the parts for the other shipped from Austria....good luck with that.

Alister. Very nice. I did not know that a shop bot could do work that nice and precise. There is one for sale close to me but what I saw it produce was not of that quality. I need to take a look at that again.

My new planer has a Tersa head, and it will plane jatoba with no tearout. It will in fact plane birdseye without popping out any eyes. AT 150 cuts per inch on the slow speed there is almost no sanding either, a big plus with wood like Jatoba.

Alister, that is incredible. A family heirloom for sure. One benefit of a detail such as that is I doubt anyone will ever suggest replacing the floor. I thought about adding a new planer, but I am limited to a combo for a few more years due to space. In the end it would have cost only a bit more and sure would have been handy. Thks

Larry, I suppose that the head in your SCMI is a 120mm dia with four knives. How slow of a feed speed do you use with Jatoba? I was looking at a planer with a separate feed motor for infinite adjustment, but the price of those sure steps up. I was curious if the larger head would solve the tearout problem. Great to know for the future planer purchase.

I want Larry's Planer!!

The Shopbot is the best tool I ever bought!

It does all the box work and recently ecabinets started selling a link to make Shopbots functional with their software.....that is a neat piece of software ...I'm saving for the link now. Support from the SB community is fantasic...and the SB will drag you in new directions too...Fun stuff!

Check out their new PRS models.

Brad, it is the four knife, and I run 16 FPM on all finish passes. It is a simple fourspeed transmission, from 16-72 FPM. I would consider variable speed an unnecessary complication myself. Parts break by percentage, the fewer parts......

I do like the electric table though, never want to crank a planer again.

Allister, where are you located? I like that touch. If you are not too far away I would consider hireing you to do some odd bits for me. As much as I would like to have a shop bot, I am always doing battle with computors, and like Quixote, I seldom find victory. Thank god for my wife.

Larry,
    I'm in Royersford PA.....See your in N Michigan
    On the Shopbot forum there is a section for finding a local machine..If you have a need/want post a note there...the basic software that comes with the machine can easily V carve.