Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drills ... Any thoughts?

Cordless Drills ... Any thoughts?

I've been researching and have narrowed it down (I think) to 3:

Makita BDF452HW
    Hitachi DS18
    Milwaukee 2601-22

I want lithium-ion. My usage is normal hobby/home repair, however I am probably going to be building a deck for my neighbor, so I'd like it to stand up to some intermittent long-hour use (driving screws). I also want one that won't give me popeye arms after holding it for an hour. Prefer the $200 price target range (i.e. no Panasonics).

Any thoughts?

I have the 18 Volt DeWalt Model # DCD940KX, and I have the hammer version too. Between those two drills I don't think I have picked up a better cordless drill, but these might be a little out of your price range a little closer to $300.

Do you have them locally? See what fits/feels comfortable to you, and also check the amp hour rating. The higher the amp hours, the longer the battery will last between swapping/charging. That is the important thing.

I did go with one that is on your not list. My other choice was do to feel and good experience, verses bad experience with another listed brand. (prefer Makita, currently, over Milwaukee).

I'm in the same boat that you're in. As for cordless drills I've been loyal to DeWalt for 20 years. Times are changing! The last two that I've bought aren't up to snuff compared to what they used to be, in my opinion. They haven't held up nearly as long, especially battery and charger life. The overall build seems to be not as good as in years past.

I'd love to hear about other folks' experience with the lithium-ion drills. I know that I want one that is small enough for tight places and another that's heavy duty enough for decking/framing projects.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have two Makita drills. One with a cord has given trouble-free service for over 20 years, the other is the one on your list: light weight and easy to handle, battery recharges in about 20 minutes, quick and easy bit changes. I haven't driven deck screws with it, but it has done everything I have asked of it, and I would recommend it without hesitation. These are the drills I own, and would buy again. They compare very well to other drills I have used.

I'm a Milwaukee fan but... in this case the Makita gets the call. I hated all cordless until I purchased a Makita with Lithium... the hate has been erased. With that said.. the others might be fine also as I have not used either.

Sarge..

Thumbs up Mikita

I have the Mikita (comes with 2 batteries); and quick re-charge. It's the best battery drill I have used. My 1/2 inch Milwaukee (corded) has sat in its case since this one came home with me.

I'm looking for a replacement cordless too since my Dewalt 14.4 died after a year and a half of very light use. Does anyone have any experience with the Ridgid 18v lithium ion drills? I'm especially interested because of the free lifetime battery replacement - are there any gotchas with that offer?

I bought the Makita Li-On kit from HD, came with a sawz-all style and a portable circular saw along with the drill. Work great so far. Nice and light compared to my old DeWalt NiCad.

Chris,

I have a love and hate relatinship with cordless drill. I bought the Milwaukee 2601 4 months ago and been using it ever since...like it very much.

It's light, compact, plenty of torque and keeps its charge till the very end.
    Batteries charges in 30 minutes and a fully charge battery has a shelf life of 18 months.

I use it in tandem with my Bosh PS20 driver and it is a charm to work with.
    AT

Knowledge is to know tomatoes are fruits.
    Wisdom is to know not to put any in a fruit salad.

Here's an unconventional answer...

I received a Black and Decker last xmas, which I admit I had a bias against. As it turns out, I've been pleasantly surprised -- lightweight, battery lasts a long time, surprisingly powerful. It has its limits of course (and for a deck I'd pull out my more powerful corded drill) but for hobby work -- hanging pictures, basic household repair tasks, etc, the $50 price is just right. I know you asked about the normal "good ones" but just offering another point of view -- sometimes a cheap tool with a bad reputation can actually offer a surprisingly good deal.

Owners of the Makita swear by it.
    Owners of the Hitachi swear by it.

If you choose either, I doubt you'll regret yr purchase.

Owners of Dewalts, Boschs, and of course Festool also swear by their's too.

I can't speak for the Milwaukee, but I would not be surprised if its fans are just as rabid.

When it comes to cordless drills, the better question is "Which one should I AVOID?"

13. I love Panasonics. Always have. I have 2 12V drills; both of which came with 2 batteries, and an impact driver. I take care of my tools, but in the course of normal use these things have been dropped, kicked, and used until dry, and they're still going strong. I admit one of them, about 7 years old now, needs to have its brushes replaced, which I will most certainly have done. And I will have the older one's batteries rebuilt in the next month or so as well.

But it's a testament to these drills that 7 years later, I'm not only willing but incredibly eager to have one of them serviced. Most tools like this are built to be replaced.

I have a corded Milwaukee which I use for really large stuff (drilling bench dog holes, large holesaws, household construction, etc.), but it's rarely used. And I have a small Bosch PS-10 and PS-20 which see some use, but I usually reach for the Panasonic. Or my Millers Falls braces

The one I have is the best.

Panasonic is still the best route in my opinion. They're durable, work well, and they're short. I do like Makita's though, I have a Makita impact I just had the body replaced on because where the handle meets where the battery attaches cracked. Its tiny, and very powerful, doesn't drill holes though.

When I go to buy another impact I will be getting the Li-Ion Panasonic, but they're quite proud of them. I think last time I looked they were $400.