Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first dovetail on the ultimate dovetail project!

The first dovetail on the ultimate dovetail project!

This was not entirely done with hand tools, but the majority was done with chisels, planes, levels, framing squares, scribes, etc... the only non-hand tool I used was a chainsaw to cut the initial cuts, but everything was cleaned up by hand.

Here's a pic of the first dovetail on one of the sills:

(linky pic to blog entry)

--
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Alan, I would let you borrow my BS paring chisels, but don't think they would get the job done!! I will check out the blog -

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Alan, I would let you borrow my BS paring chisels, but don't think they would get the job done!! I will check out the blog -
    Hey, thanks for the offer John, but we have some Barr slicks and chisels. I didn't bring any of my own tools, except for a broad axe I shipped (should be here tomorrow or Friday.

I'll be updating my blog as I make progress.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

What an amazing project. Good luck

Fitting full size logs!

Making some progress! Starting to fit the next row of full size logs.

This is some timber, like nothing I've worked with, ever. It's fascinating how the joinery works together in the half dovetail. Water drains away from the joint on both sides. But it is always the top log that locks in the bottom. Much different than furniture dovetails. Much of the works is done with hand planes, chisels, mallets, and layout tools. The layout is fascinating to me.

(linky pic to blog entry, a cool snapping turtle was visiting me this morning!)

--

I guess that's not going to be a blanket chest or anything like that... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No Wenzloff, LN, Adria, LV (insert your favorite maker here) dovetail saw used for this one eh!?

I love log homes! The wife and I are currently looking for a nice piece of property on a lake now to secure for our log cabin in the future. That looks like a fantastic project Alan, though I'm not sure I'd have the patience/skill/desire to build an entire house myself. You deserve a lot of credit. That's one big undertaking. Good luck!

Ah. Envy!

Quote Originally Posted by joel runyan View Post
    ah. Envy!
    +1....... :d

So are you knocking down your current house to put this one up, Alan?! haha

Looks pretty sweet!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    So are you knocking down your current house to put this one up, Alan?! haha

Looks pretty sweet!
    Nah, nothing like that. I still plan to live in San Jose for the next 4 years at least, and most likely keep the home. I have a piece of lakefront property for the home. I have known this log craftsman for a number of years, and was planning to have him build the home for me.

These timbers are amazing, yet I do the majority of work with a simple scribe, low angle stanley block plane. I have 2 Stanley planes, and one is a newer one, but they are tuned and work well.

I put this first full tail on the sill today:

I also spent a fair amount of time today with a drawknife...

Attached Images Attached Images
    --

Time to take a rest...

I'm flying back home tomorrow. It was honor to learn how to craft log homes from such a accomplished craftsman. I have long admired the work of Tim Bullock, and I can't express my gratitude for his willingness to teach me how to craft logs like this. We have become great friends, and I will always remember his willingness to share his knowledge with me.

Dovetails have long been considered the epitome of handcrafted work for woodworkers world wide, and there is no better way to display it than in a home itself.

Setting a 3000# log in place and seeing the joinery close up and fit is just as every bit exciting as it is as the first dovetail joints I've done with furniture.

I hope to complete this home and leave it for my kids.

(linky pic to more pics on my blog)

--

alan,

right next to building furniture and cabinets my ideal profession would be to build timber framed houses using traditional joinery and methods. i had the opportunity to build one a few years ago.

i used slicks, planes as well as a worm drive and right angle drill. the building was 10x12 built with traditional joinery methods without the use of any metal fasteners. although the county permit office required 8 lag bolts at the wall to roof connections to comply with hurricane sheer ratings.

the project took me about 3 months to build with myself and a part time helper to lift the trusses. unfortunately there is not much call for traditional post and beam construction here in sw florida and i havent had a call for one since than.

there is a great amount of satisfaction that come from being able to cut and hew large logs and beams to fit together and provide shelter.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 06-07-2009 at 5:40 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Nice Alan! Quite a commitment too!

Hope you keep us posted with pictures.

T.Z.

Great pics Alan.

Sean - Great post and beam project, the look of that is fantastic.