Thread: Bottle Stoppers

Bottle Stoppers

I just ordered some of the bottle stoppers from Ruth Niles, what a nice lady. These are the first stoppers I'll be doing, what type of finish do you use? For some reason I have a bottle of Mylands High Build Friction Polish if that works.

Thanks
    Bill

Bill - not a lot of experience here but I used Deft brushing lacquer on the few I made and it worked great! Don't think I would want a friction polish as that would not hold up very well.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Bill:
    Depending on the shape of the stoppers, I use CA finish. It they are relatively smooth it works well. Good luck. Make sure you post them when done.
    All the best.

Don

Friction polish is primarily shellac and wax.....the solvent for shellac is alcohol.

I'd be more inclined to use Deft brushing lacquer and friction it on..or CA as Don recommended.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lac. sanding sealer, 3 coats spray lacquer, 0000 steel wool, 2 spray finish coats, buff lightly. Others may be better, but have no basis for comparison.
    Richard in Wimberley

I would either use brushing lacquer or most of the time I use Deft rattle can spray lacquer. If they get used a lot friction polish won't last. I tried it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

sanding sealer and rattle can laquer. works great.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun gardner View Post
    sanding sealer and rattle can laquer. works great.
    I've made quite a few stoppeers and I have been using two coats of Mylands sander sealer with 0000 steel wool between and then two coats of gel poly I bought from a mfg at a wood working show. Works great!

Thanks for the replies and the great info. I don't know how O.B's Shine Juice will work but I love the name. I have plenty of rattle can spray lacquer so I'll try that first.
    I just received Ruth Niles bottle stoppers about 15 minutes ago. Thought I missed being able to work on them this weekend because I didn't get them on Friday, but Ruth shipped them with Sat. delivery, nice touch.

Bill