Thread: Favorite finish for cherry?..

Favorite finish for cherry?..

Hey Jim Becker...

I'm approaching the end of my Martha Washington's candle stand project. It's a Norm project. I used cherry.

What's your favorite finish for cherry?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'll of course let him speak for himself, but I bet he's gonna say BLO followed by shellac, and then a Target spray product if you want more durability....

Oh, yeah, and Ken, can you please post pix of your stand? I've been following yr threads and wld like to see how it 'turned' out...

I'm not speaking for Jim either , but my favorite finish for cherry is warmed BLO, (2 coats) followed by your topcoat of choice. I think Target EM6000 or EM2000 would be a good choice. The EM2000 will give a more ambering effect than the EM6000.

I'm guessing....

...Jim will recommend Rustoleum
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    ...Jim will recommend Rustoleum

I hope not!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I'll of course let him speak for himself, but I bet he's gonna say BLO followed by shellac, and then a Target spray product if you want more durability....

Oh, yeah, and Ken, can you please post pix of your stand? I've been following yr threads and wld like to see how it 'turned' out...
    Shawn,I'll post a photo when it's done. I just finished fitting the dovetailed legs. They turned out as good as I could expect for firsts. Hopefully this weekend I'll make a little more progress. I had son and DIL visiting from Texas and didn't make much progress this past week.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I use Deft CLear wood finish on cherry. It brings out the highlights and allows the wood wto darken nicely over time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm big on wiping varnishes and oil/varnish blends. To that end, you can make your own up with BLO/Tung and varnish/poly or try out some Velvit Oil--my favorite.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I like Waterlox satin on cherry. It provides protection, and gives a wonderful, silky feel.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

For a MARTHA WASHINGTON piece, I believe the only way to display the beauty of the piece, especially in Cherry is to do it in French Polish. When done properly, it willl add depth to the finish, so much so, that you will be able to see yourself and the beauty of the Cherry in a way no other finish can. Also, if the finish gets damaged, it is a self repairing finish. Simply use Shelac to make the repair.

As you might be able to tell, I love this finish. It takes longer that most of the other finishes but you impart some of yourself to the piece.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    As you might be able to tell, I love this finish. It takes longer that most of the other finishes but you impart some of yourself to the piece.
    Bruce
    +1 on the French Polish - my favorite as well. A bit easier on Cherry as well because you won't need to grain fill much at all. A quick pass with some pumice and you are good to go.

BLO and dewaxed shellac over all and for a candle stand that will be "used", I'll generally shoot a couple coats of Target Coatings USL (now EM6000) on just the top. The French polish is an excellent way to do the shellac on the top if you have the wherewithal to do so. If I didn't have kids that don't have a clue about how to be careful around furniture, it would be shellac all the way! Great finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...