Thread: work bench storage

work bench storage

I posted a while ago about a $200 work bench at Costco. Received many helpful replies. We finally closed on our new house and I bought the work bench. I have a 2 car garage with double doors, and the bench fits perfectly in the space between the doors, which is about 36" wide and the table is 24". I have room to work from both sides of the bench.

I am now looking for 2 cabinets to make use of the space under the work bench. The needed height is 32" and the depth would be about 20". The bench has adjustable feet so I can probably raise it 1/4" if needed.

Would like to store some power tools in the drawers or on shelves, along with some hand tools.

Keep in mind this is a homeowner's work bench, just for making repairs, glueing things, and putting things together. I only have hand power tools, no stationary tools to worry about.

Thanks for any suggestions and where to buy.

John

2. I would check Sears for rolling tool chests, they probably have one or two that would slide under and give you the storage you need.
    DP

John, think about making a custom cabinet(s) to fit the space. This can be anything from simple boxes, open on one side, to ones containing drawers on slides and fancy door designs.

Not only will this allow you to build something that meets your needs, it'll give you practice (if you're a beginner) that'll come in handy for future projects. All this while giving you some quality shop time and saving $$$, too.

Just a though......

Lee in NC
    Last edited by Lee Mitchell; 05-29-2009 at 9:20 AM. Reason: fat fingers

There are some plans at Fine Woodworking online that I will probably use, when I get around to dealing with this problem. These aren't built-in, they're just boxes that set on the stretchers. And there are built as two separate pieces, to make them easier to handle:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=25191

5. John,
    If you can raise the bench, this should work.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...criptionAnchor
    HTH,
    DP

Thanks;

The Sears cabinet looks good. Wonder if the height listed includes the casters or not? The work bench has adjustable levelers on it, so I can probably raise it 1/2 inch. If not, I will figure a way

John