Thread: NEMA 6-15 and NEMA 6-20

NEMA 6-15 and NEMA 6-20

I have a 3hp JET cabinet saw wired with a NEMA 6-20 plug.

Looking to purchase a 2HP Bandsaw and they recommend a NEMA 6-15. I am guessing the 15 in 6-15 is the amp draw??

I have to share the 240 volt cabinet saw outlet with the band saw (But not at the same time) So am I safe to put a 6-20 plug on the bandsaw when the recommend is a 6-15? I say yes! but wanted to run it by the group in case I am not thinking of something.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yes, you can do that. You don't need to, though, as a standard NEMA 6-20 outlet has a "T" shaped slot for one of the hots, allowing it to accept either 6-15 or 6-20 plugs. So put a 6-20 on your TS and a 6-15 on your BS, and they'll both fit into the 6-20 receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Yes, you can do that. You don't need to, though, as a standard NEMA 6-20 outlet has a "T" shaped slot for one of the hots, allowing it to accept either 6-15 or 6-20 plugs. So put a 6-20 on your TS and a 6-15 on your BS, and they'll both fit into the 6-20 receptacle.
    Thanks! I will have to look at my outlet again.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thanks! I will have to look at my outlet again.
    I'll be dog gone. Should unplug my tablesaw more often. I won't tell you I wired that plug in myself. LOL!!!!!
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I'll be dog gone. Should unplug my tablesaw more often. I won't tell you I wired that plug in myself. LOL!!!!!
    I love it when I check what it is I have to do and find out I'm already done ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler