Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ahoy...Boat Builders!

Talking boats boats boats !

whats up with all the boat stuff !

I got the sniffles as a lad, never liked models out of the box, but my brother did, so I copied parts of his. Its interesting how much fun a kid can have with a 2x4 and a pillow cover! Thank god the pillow didn't have feathers in it ,I may have walked a different path. My mom felt bad for me and got me this little yacht, never really took to it. The lines on my custom 2x4 where just to sweet.
    These are pictures of a model I work on once in a long while and a painting I did of a magazine cover hope you like. Im also looking into building a small boat 16-18 feet. hopefully I ll be able to post here one day.
    Il be tuning in hear I like .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 08-24-2009 at 5:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    ...with more than 11,000 active members on this forum, you'd think we'd have more boat builders...or at least some wanna bees...
    Hey, I'm building a boat. It's a 10 foot sailing dingy with a cat rig and is built with the "Stich and Glue" method. It's been slow going with the heat and humidity here in central Florida, but I expect to finish it by Thanksgiving.

Russ

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Russ, we would love to see photos..

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

i spent ten years runnin yachts and ended up a cabinetmaker, i watch this boat forum for my moment of reprieve from my shop some times, this photo sits in a frame in my office and lends it self to a story when a client gets a little too pushy

i just show um a "bad day in Greece"

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    Russ, we would love to see photos..
    Here are some pics I took on the day the hull "Went 3D." The center bulkhead is temporary and holds the hull's shape until the seams are epoxied. I'll have some more pics of the mast and boom soon.

Russ

Looking good! After I finish my daughters kayak I want to build a stitch and glue skiff.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Hauser View Post
    Here are some pics I took on the day the hull "Went 3D." The center bulkhead is temporary and holds the hull's shape until the seams are epoxied. I'll have some more pics of the mast and boom soon.

Russ

Russ,
    Nice job! This looks as it might be a Spindrift design by Graham Byrnes. Graham does nice work!
    Keep us posted.

Mac

Well, I'm new here, but not exactly new to boats. About 8 years ago, way back when I was married, I built a little row boat-she was not impressed. So, I figured a little row boat was too small, so I found a 20' Dorsett San Juan in a junkyard. It needed new stringers, transom, floor, and a bunch of fiberglass work to it as well. I redid that and changed out the motor from a Volvo Penta AQ120 (I believe) to an OMC with a 3.0 V6-basically doubling the horsepower, but the price was right. Well that Dorsett was fast and got up on plane in a hurry, but any side breeze would push it off course, so I never really opened it up all the way.

After that Dorsett, I found the smaller version of the San Juan, the Dorsett Catalina, and drug that thing home. By then, mama was livid. Never did get around to restoring the Catalina because a divorce got in the way and I had to fight for custody (I won, thank God). Now, I've got the boat building urge again and built a boat for my son. My fiance is scared of the water and has never been on a boat, but I figure in time, she'll come around and take a ride on a boat.

The red and white boat is the Dorsett and the green and white is my son's. I'm just waiting for him to "tune up" the motor and try to get it on plane.

BTW, anyone from California or the West Coast? All of you seem to be from back east. Thing I noticed out here, there is a lack of craftsmen in the boat building world. I knew this one fine craftsman out in Sacramento, but he moved to Oregon. He was my mentor and his advice was invaluable. Out here, there aren't a whole lot of people who can build things like they can in the midwest. I guess it's a self reliance out there, and here, money can buy whatever you want (or could until the taxes go up some more). In fact, on the lakes out here (northern California), I haven't seen any handmade boats. People are amazed that I built my son's boat, but it really wasn't difficult at all. Sometimes I really miss living in Oklahoma. The things ordinary people out there would make work would just amaze people out here in California.

Oh, and the shocker for me after I built the boat. I had to get it registered at the DMV and got in an arguement with the gal over the Hull ID number. She insisted that I needed to provide her with one. I kept telling her I built the boat and had the receipts for the lumber, and she would have to assign me a hull ID number, but for some reason, she couldn't get it through her head that someone would actually build a boat instead of buying one. After about 30 minutes of arguing with her, she finally saw the light, charged me $40 for the tag, and sent me on my way.

[QUOTE=marc bergen;1204695]Out here, there aren't a whole lot of people who can build things like they can in the midwest. I guess it's a self reliance out there, and here, money can buy whatever you want (or could until the taxes go up some more). In fact, on the lakes out here (northern California), I haven't seen any handmade boats.

Check out this guy's work. He's up in Vancouver. http://tinyurl.com/aerdqu

Russ

Wow, I've learned a lot just by reading his build. Thanks. Unfortunately Vancouver is too far away, but from what I've read so far, it has been educational. I'm not a woodworker by trade, in fact, never really was interested in working with wood for a hobby, but after building the boat, I've realized how satisfying it can be. Besides, I have more time to learn since my job has been sent to India.

Marc,
    Welcome to the Boatbuilding section of this forum. Nice work on your two boats! When you received a hull number, did you have to have the Coast Guard inspect it?

Mac

nope. I think it was because it was for personal use, but not sure. The boat is only 8 feet long and designed for sheltered waters, so that may have been a factor as well. The DMV didn't even request a copy of the receipts. All they did was take my money, assign me a hull ID number, and give me the tags.

Marc,
    Thanks for the info,

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by marc bergen View Post
    nope. I think it was because it was for personal use, but not sure. The boat is only 8 feet long and designed for sheltered waters, so that may have been a factor as well. The DMV didn't even request a copy of the receipts. All they did was take my money, assign me a hull ID number, and give me the tags.

Here are pics of the mast and boom. The mast is made up of three 6 foot sections of aircraft aluminum tubing that telescope together. The fit is really loose and the sections have to be built up for a snug fit with epoxy and Fiberglas tape. The tapared wood plug in the bottom section fits into the mast step and is shaped to keep the mast from rotating in the step. the sail will have a sleeve luff and will slip over the mast.

The boom is laminated cyprus and is tapered fore and aft on the sides and bottom.

The boat is indeed a Spindrift S-10 designed by Graham Byrnes. Originally I had ordered plans for the nesting version, but changed my mind, wanting the stiffer hull and more floatation.

I'll post more pics soon.

Russ