Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longest Lasting Washing Machines?

Question Longest Lasting Washing Machines?

I can't buy any tools now because the washing machine just died. Same price to fix or replace.

Who has a washing machine that has lasted forever and what kind is it?

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My brother has a gasoline operated Maytag that dates back to the 30's.... but I'm not sure that it's very technologically current...

Check out your local laundromats and see what they use. These are typically a good balance between cost and low maintenance. It's hard to go wrong with Sears Kenmore products though. Another option is to speak with your local repair centers and ask them when machines that they rarely have to work on.

Front loaders use less water and in general are supposed to do a more thorough job cleaning clothes.

+1 for Kenmore
    Most CR reports that I read has them as the most reliable overall.
    I love all my Kenmore products.

E-

Blog Entries
    My ex-wife still runs the Maytags we inherited from my aunt when we married. Don't know how old they were but they are still running 32 years later and have been moved from house to house I forget how many times. Minor repairs like agitator dogs for the washer ($18) and a belt for the dryer. I guess those repairmen really are bored(?). I currently run a Kenmore (Maytag) set that is the same as LOML runs at here house. No problems other than normal maintenance.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...when our Maytag crapped out several years ago, my wife and I looked long and hard for a "better" machine, and I think we found it. Fisher & Paykel...
    http://www.fisherpaykel.com/ ...Brian, check them out, I think you'll like what you see...Nate

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Last one I bought was a Miele. They don't get much press over here, but are all over the place in Europe. Very well regarded.

I had two Sears Kenmore machines that were bullet proof (no on board electronics).
    They occasionally tore cloths and used lots of water, and in spin cycle would wander about the house like a drunk looking for a dust bunny but, they were bullet proof.

I took the transmission out of my last Sears machine. Heavy cast parts cast iron gears the transmission component parts were really heavy duty.
    I still have it. I keep telling myself that I am going to build it into some machine some day. The only Idea I've has so far is to drive an old antique 5' bucking saw after I file it to rip to re-saw lumber. I didn't like that idea.
    IT can rotate a shaft back and forth like who-done-it.

I think the real thing with how long a machine lasts these days is the computers they pout in them all. The lower cost equipment will have the absolute worse electronics.

Get a Meile or a Bosh for higher quality electronics.

I've replaced the last sears machines with Bosch. So far I'm impressed.

I'll be sure and raise a stink if the snazzy high priced machine screws up.

Second vote for Miel, not to mention how quiet they are.

It just struck me, miel is french for honey, odd.......Rod.

Don't base your decision on a washer that was quality-built 20 years ago. It may not be quality anymore.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm going to go with either a Miele, a Wascomat commercial washer, or the LG* steam washer (I like the technology, but I still have doubts about reliability.)

* I mean, really. Who names their company "Lucky Goldstar?" That sounds like a character from a very bad western.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

There is a device in most washing machines called a WIG WAG.... It is a piece of metal that looks like a Boomerang with 2 electrical solenoids on the tips. When the machine is operating and goes in to spin mode one solenoid is energized. When in Wash or Agitate the other is energized.

The problem is that through the Boomerang is a hole and 3 wires go through the hole a common wire and one each for the solenoids.

Because this WIG WAG is in constant motion over the years the wires break at the piece of black electrical tape holding them together.

Replacing all 3 wires with a VERY FINE stranded wire like LAMP CORD wire fixes the problem....

Make this repair at your OWN RISK..... There might also be a part number for the Wire Harness too....

Good Luck....

SO NO SPIN or NO Agitate.... Look at the WIG WAG....

AL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wig_wag_(washing_machines)

Newer than 1986 disreguard....

The wig-wag is the common name for the unusual solenoid mechanism used in belt-drive washing machines made by Whirlpool, Kenmore (manufactured by Whirlpool) and many others, from approximately 1950 to 1986.

[edit] Operation

The wig-wag is mounted atop the washing machine's transmission, where it oscillates back and forth like a railroad signaling wig-wag (hence the name). When either solenoid is engaged, a rod catches and engages the transmission in the desired mode.
    One of the wig-wag's solenoids is turned on to engage agitation during wash mode; the other solenoid is turned on to engage the spin-dry mode. The motor must be turned on before the solenoids are powered. Only one solenoid may be operated at a time. When neither solenoid is engaged, the transmission is in neutral and only the pump is operating to drain water out of the tub.
    During a normal cycle, most Whirlpool-built wig-wag equipped washers will fill, start the motor, then engage the wash solenoid. Upon completion of the wash mode, the wash (agitate) solenoid will be turned off, which will allow the pump to drain the tub. After a minute or two, the timer will then engage the spin wig-wag which will cause the rotation of the tub. This is in contrast to most other top-load washing machines which start spinning and draining simultaneously.

[edit] Problems with the wig-wag mechanism

There are two common failures with the wig-wag mechanism. The first is that a solenoid tends to jam, often due to corrosion from operating in a damp environment. The second common failure is peculiar to the wig-wag - since the wires which operate the solenoids are constantly being flexed by the motion of the wig-wag, they tend to break causing the wash or spin cycle not to engage.
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 05-29-2009 at 4:22 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

If I recall correctly most of the major brand name washers and dryers are made by the same company. Like Eric wrote you can not go by the familiar brand names of yesterday. I was a major Maytag supporter because of the ease of repairing them, parts availability and long life. In my experience over the past 15 years or so this is no longer true.
    Prior to my purchasing any major appliance I check on Epinions dot com to see what is written about the appliance, ask on SMC and do a Consumers Report search, this usually gets me in the ball park.
    Looks like Kenmore seems to be popular, I have never owned one so I can't comment.
    David B

I vote -1 on Kenmore Front load.......Ours lasted about 6 years and the whole thing came unglued on the inside. Had a local independent repairman out and his reccomendation was to junk it. He was very negative on any front loaders as far as longevity. He says their is too much strain on the bearing assembly. We went back to a plain jane (moderators that is not a slam on women) top loader with no fancy electronics. My wife likes it just fine.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Careful with the front load machines. I have a friend that is a apliance repair man, he has been at it for 32 years. He adivses not to buy the front loaders unless you are really a "tree hugger". Yes they use slightly less water, but they are prone to more failures then the tried and true top loads. The front load has been around for as long as the top load but they are all the rage now because they have a window on them. Most of the older front loads didn't have a window. Who sits and watches their cloths being washed.
    I bought an Amana comercial machine 8 years ago per his advice. It has a longer agitation stroke than most so the stress on the internals isn't as high, and it has a stanless steel drum, instead of the porcelan most commonly used. So far I have done zero repairs to it in 8 years(knock on wood), and that is pretty good considering most machines now days arn't built like they use to be.

Not the Whirlpool calypso or as some online forum members call it the collapso. Just replaced it after 3 1/2 years. The whirlpool tech said "I can probably get it going again but you are looking at nearly $500 and it is going to happen again." Goodbye Whirlpool I hope GE works better for me.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I took a depressing look at Lowes and Best Buy today. The repairman recommended Whirlpool, which has purchased Maytag. My 6 year old Maytag (top of the line) top loader looks more solid than any of these. That's the one where I have had 3 major repairs.

The Best Buy lady recommended front-loading LG with the computer panel controls. The Lowes lady recommended Maytag Centennial since the label says they have "MCT - Maytag Commercial Technology" parts.

I think I'll just get any old thing and consider it a $100 / year rental.

But I will check out all of your recommendations!

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!