Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longest Lasting Washing Machines?

We bought a Whirlpool pair in 1984. They're still going strong. Over the years we've replaced the dryer belt and the washer dasher. That's it.

I dread the day they give up the ghost. All I want is a plain, simple, pair that cleans the laundry. I don't want or need all the bells, whistles, gimmicks, doodads, flat screen TV, GPS, iPod port, or anything else that's being loaded on today's models. All I want are sturdy components that stand up to daily wear and tear AND that are fairly easy to replace, if the need arises.

FWIW, I remember when my mother washed clothes, in the backyard using a washboard and a cast iron wash pot. I remember when she started using a wringer washer. In fact, as a teenager, it was often my job to do the laundry and hang it on the backyard clothes line. It took a heck of a lot of work to fill the washer and tubs, using a pitcher pump at the well to fill everything with water, one bucket at a time. BTW, that was really fun in the wintertime.

When we got married in 1966, it was a pure pleasure to use an automatic washer. Still had to hang out the clothes. Years later, we bought a dryer. Yet, today, I still miss the fresh smell of sun dried sheets.

Call me old fashioned, if you will. Call me frugal, if you must. But, I can't see paying a "fortune" for all the extras on machines that break down too quickly, require a technician to repair, and don't wash laundry any cleaner than a simple, well contructed machine.

Sorry for getting into rant mode, because this is a sore spot with me than ranges from cars to all the dead/outdated computers I've discarded over the last 20 years.

Lee in NC

What about this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

LG washer

I just purchased an LG WM2455hg washer at sears on sale for just over 900.00. It is front loading and is highly rated by consumer reports. It does not have the steam option but I did not think it was worth the extra cost. I am widowed and my daughter lives with me and we both like it.
    It has saved on water and elec costs. It is very quiet compared to others.
    The earlier statement about the gasoline washer was good to read. I remember that as a boy my friends and I use to buy the used motors from washers that went bad and mount them on bicycles. Just like the first Whizzer.

most of the matching driers that are the match of the washers are a real ripoff. the more expensive the washer the more the drier costs. come on now where are only so many things a drier can do.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    What about this one?
    I got one of those - nice model, too. I'm just trying to buy her a washing machine.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My mom has been using this one for 38 years and it's still going.
    It was serviced once in 1987 - transmission belt and glass seal.
    No computer chips inside. Simple and as effective.

Among the things I appreciate about European washing machines is that most have a "boil" setting for whites, so there is no need for bleach. The whites come out of it as good as the day they were bought. Bleach doesn't come even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Ferlas View Post
    My mom has been using this one for 38 years and it's still going.
    Among the things I appreciate about European washing machines is that most have a "boil" setting for whites, ...
    Had one of those (AEG), and yeah, the "boil" setting was pretty good.

Well, except back when we washed diapers. (The smell of hot pee in the laundry room... )

But ours only lasted 10 years, darn it.
    And I must say I do NOT misss the near 2hr cycle length!!!
    "It's Not About You."

When we purchased our house a friend that owned laundromats told us to only buy Maytag. Said they're easy and cheap to fix if there is a problem, and that they don't have problems often.

Haven't had any issues whatsoever in fifteen years (knock on wood).

But if I have learned anything from this thread, it is that I will FIX the units when they do break down, rather than buy new.

Thanks all. I'll report back after a few years.

Thank you all for joining me in this epic journey.

We are buying another Maytag. (MVWC6ESWW)

The repair bill would have been about $475.

New washer with delivery, installation and service contract is $546.

That gives us 5 years of warrantee after which it will break down again. By then I hope that Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen (or even Ron Brese) is making washing machines.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hmmm....didn't see many (if any) kudos for Whirlpool. I wonder why. Could it be that that their CS stinks as bad as their products? My Duet washer lasted a month shy of its third birthday...would cost more than 50% of new to repair.

Whirlpool has acquired many brands like Maytag, Amana, Kitchenaid, Jenn-Air, and almost all the other familiar U.S. names.

My advice if your looking to buy a new washer is don't. Look for an old school top loader, preferably a pre-takeover Maytag.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Kenmore front loaders

SWMBO has had front loaders for at lest 25 years and is not about to change. She likes the fact that they're stackable. I did a little research and found a couple youtube videos, the bookmarks for which I've lost. The upshot as I recall was to use HE detergent. There's a star shaped casting that holds the tub. If there are much in the way of suds, this star gets wet and will corrrode and break. How much would it have cost to coat this casting with a sealant to prevent corrosion? Too much, apparently. Another issue was with the front buttons. Some models had a BUNCH. Somehow moisture & steam got among the buttons and corroded them. We had a White Westinghouse set which was working okay but they were getting tired. The new Kenmore washer is certainly quieter and doesn't make us think there's a 5.0 earthquake when it spins (washer & dryer are on the 2nd floor).

Sears installation was another matter. We bought from a Sears outlet in N.E. Philadelphia. The two guys that delivered them put them in the garage and said their job was just to deliver them and someone else would be along to install them. This was a night when a Phillies world series game was on. They lied. They were supposed to install it but wanted to get back to Jersey to watch the game. We did get another Sears service team to come out and hook the new units up and Sears compensated us for the inconvenience. The experience did not elevate my opinion of Sears service however.

Curt

I am like Phil, I fix them myself if it is possible and financially feasible. I have Maytag and they have worked okay for the past 5 years but there are some very weird noises coming from both the washer and dryer on occasion. I probably will not buy Maytag again when these go out. I also believe in getting the most basic washers and dryers available, much less potential for problems.
    David B

As a retired headquarters executive of the appliance industry I can say factually that there is a substantial absence of facts in this thread.

There is one which is accurate and that deals with taking the sales persons recommendation. Their recommendation is often motivated by a higher commission or what is called a SPIF. SPIF is an acronym for special promotional incentive fund and one that most manufacturers use from time to time.

The reason for the extra hot water on European machines is that they are not allowed to use bleach nor many of the detergents we have in the US.

Assuming that Consumer Reports is authoritative on anything is chancy.

Is the Meile better than American made washers? Yes, but it's smaller and costs nearly three times as much. Will it last twice as long? Not likely, since we have bigger families thus many more wash loads and higher frequency of use than in Europe.

European refrigerators and cooking products have no advantage over US products. Styling is subjective.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't think that "lasting forever" is an option any more. But I will say that I'm extremely happy with our LG SteamWasher and SteamDryer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maytag,

They are easy to work on when they need repair.

The store that we have purchased other Maytag items from, usually just sells me the part(s) and tells me how to fix it. The fix takes less than an hour in most cases.

Past problems, included a belt, a plastic blower motor fan, and a switch.

we have had Maytag Washer and Dryer for 20 years.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?