Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Longest Lasting Washing Machines?

We purchased a new front load set from a family owned store. I purchased it (GE BRAND) then got home reading the reviews and was nervous with all the negatives. Went back to the store with my concerns. The owner said I could purchase another model if I liked but he sold hundreds of the GE and very few problems.
    I trusted him so I got the GE anyway. Long story short the store owner was right. All the reviews I had read were from people who never read the owners manual.

The owner of the store also told me no matter the brand or price 10 years was about the life span of todays units.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

There are two basic versions of Maytag, a single drive and dual drive belt, the dual is the Maytag your mother had for 20+ years and it ran pretty much with only minor maintance, the single belt is the same as Norge and a few other cheap models and a pos.

If you can find the dual belt, that's what I would buy.

Do not buy any of the trendy machines like Meile, Bosch and such unless you have a dealer servicer next door, or at least in your aera.

LG and Frigidare are two I'd stay away from no matter what and remember any of the front loaders with take the bearing out if you load them with as much as they say they will take, once the bearing goes, toss it for the most part.
    Maybe add GE to that list.

Whirlpool still makes a decent and reasonably cost top load machine, their front loader isn't to bad and chances are its the same one sears sells with the HE4/? label.

Out of the 6 of us on the techinal help line I work on for our company, three have Fisher Paykels..fwiw

btw you can take the first three numbers in a sears model and generally see who made it, try
    http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

The old Maytag that I fixed was the two belt unit. I was amazed how easy it was to change the belts! --- also the washer is so simple in its design. I was wondering why they would change from this design??

F&P now owns DCS -- I have not been all that happy with the customer service through F&P when getting help on my DCS products.

Al

How do you explain that my Frigidaire front loader is still working without service after 13 years? Also how do you explain that the GE front loaders which a previous poster and dealer said were very good (also made for GE by Frigidaire by the way) work as advertised? (why Frigidaire--at the time Frigidaire was the only US mfr of front-loading machines)

If you were a serviceman I challenge your facts as your sample is too small to project it to a national figure. Norge? How many years has it been since you could find a Norge. Norge was a company owned by Admiral and acquired by Maytag with the Admiral acquisition.

Meile and Bosch trendy? Hardly, they've been around for more years than most of us. Bosch/Seimens dishwashers have been built in the US since the mid 90's as a point of interest.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We have had Kenmore, Amanna, (good unit-longest transmission warranty-10 years, or was), and now have a Maytag set up. Mid level. Had the Maytag set up for about 5 years now, and no problems, no service calls. LOML is happy with them. The less dry/more dry sensor on the dryer even works pretty good! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

18 years and still going

I'v got a Kenmore washer and Dryer, had to replace a knob on the dryer since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Al

How do you explain that my Frigidaire front loader is still working without service after 13 years? Also how do you explain that the GE front loaders which a previous poster and dealer said were very good (also made for GE by Frigidaire by the way) work as advertised? (why Frigidaire--at the time Frigidaire was the only US mfr of front-loading machines)

If you were a serviceman I challenge your facts as your sample is too small to project it to a national figure. Norge? How many years has it been since you could find a Norge. Norge was a company owned by Admiral and acquired by Maytag with the Admiral acquisition.

Meile and Bosch trendy? Hardly, they've been around for more years than most of us. Bosch/Seimens dishwashers have been built in the US since the mid 90's as a point of interest.
    Btw when the two belt Maytag was being produced in mass Norge was indeed being also produced and they sold the single belt cheaper model, Whirlpool now owns both.
    Norge was produced into the mid 90's at least and if we're talking 20 year old washer, I figured most would know the Norge name.

Trendy may or may not fit, what does fit is these unit need repair just like any others and you should have a dealer/servicer close to you, as in any applicance, the difference being Maytag/Whrilpool dealers are fairly common, you don't see a Meile dealer in every mall.

Why are they still running?
    Same reason some water heater run 6 months and some 30 years or more, but Frigidare has had major problems with bearing, take it or leave it, your choice.

al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.