Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repurposing a washing machine transmission

Used to help my dad repair them a long time ago. Don't know what kind you have but some had a shaft that went up to the wringer that turned in one direction only and makes a good pulling winch. Can be made to go both ways with a reversible motor. the other output ran the adgator sp which was a back and forth motion. that worked good for a saw drive. had one hooked up to a bucking saw for cutting logs. cut lots of logs but wasn't fast. Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Blog Entries

3. I have seen this used in overhead fan in upscale with 3-5 palm shaped fans conected to one another with nicely turned fitted brass rod and moveable joints. Slow lazy back and forth movement

Make a cradle for your router and put it on your lathe tool rest for an ornamental turning center.

repurposing a washing machine transmission

It would seem like a lot of work to me but....I guess it can be done, several ideas have been tossed out here. I ran across an article in a book or magazine can't remember which right now, some guy had a washing machine transmission,mounted it between two sections of a heavy duty
    truck frame rails and made a horizontal metal cutting bandsaw and it worked! I don't know if I want to spend that much time and money on ...but it still looked interesting all the while.

Use it to turn a Santa Clause, a ghost or spook, or something for whatever holiday you want to celebrate in the front yard .
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Think outside the shop- think garden and build yourself a screener. I'll be
    first in line to borrow it. Been planting the veggie garden and now I know why there a a couple of gravel pits located nearby.