Thread: Sears Craftsman jointer question

Sears Craftsman jointer question

I have a chance to buy a Sears Jointer for $150.
    Model 113.232200
    6-1/8" Cast Iron 1-3/8 HP.

I have not been able to find out much about it on the net. Does anyone have one of these and if so, do you like it?
    Tipp City, Ohio

My local Craigs list has the same model for $299. It looks in good shape but over priced. Personally, for $150 if it works OK I'd go for it. (But I'd offer $100 first!)

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Sounds like the Sears jointer I bought back about 1979. 6-1/8". I bought it new, probably about $275. More recently, I bought one exactly like it for my father-in-law for $50. It just needed some clean-up and blade sharpening, but it worked just fine--as has mine for nearly 30 years. Same motor, same belt, same blades. Of course, I don't use it an awful lot. I'd rather grab a handplane and make shavings.

I also made a dust collection attachment for it, which works very well.

Steve

For $150 what are you waiting for. If it is in good shape runs nice and joints cleanly, that is a good deal. Nowdays it is hard to buy anything for under $100. Just check it out joint a piece of wood, move the tables, and go for it.

If it is the old Sears with the non adjustable outfeed table, RUN AWAY!

They tended to warp at the head with age so that the infeed and outfeed tables were out of plane, and there was no cure except the dumpster. They can not be adjusted back in to spec once they warp and will not produce a straight edge.

I can't speak to fixed outfeed model that Larry is talking about, but mine ( mod no. 103.20620) is easily adjustable for parallelism of the infeed table to the outfeed table. Infeed table guides are set in leveling bushings (jackscrews if you prefer that term) and I adjusted it when I aquired the jointer in a trade some 25 years ago. It's actually served me well, and done a lot of jointing over that time. just remember to set the knives .001-.003 higher than the outfeed table!

Bob

I have had one of these for over 30 years and it works great. I want to upgrade to a newer 8" when I find the right one. I have seen these on local Craigslists for as low as $75 (rough) to $150 (good condition).

I have never had any problem with table alignment.