Thread: Refinishing Front Door Help

Refinishing Front Door Help

Need some advice on how to refinish a front door. The door faces East and gets some morning sun. There is an overhang over the porch that protects most of the door but the bottom takes the brunt. I need to repair the leaded glass so I was going to take the entire door down and work on it. The door is made from Mahogany. It could (and most likely does) get wet on the bottom due to rain and sprinkler system. I would like to do the interior also at the same time. Would you sand all the way down to bare wood on both sides? The inside looks good but I want both sides to look the same when all is said and done. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arvin Brown

How about a brass plate? Sand and seal then maybe a thin bead of clear silicone.

Never done it but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

greg

I'm with Greg....I'd put a brass kick-plate on the bottom.

Sand the door down and recoat with a marine spar-varnish or some other product that has UV protectant and will take the weather.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Front door finish

You probably will need to sand all the way down, which will be fun when you get to those panels--any power sander may "round over" to edges of the panel--be careful--probably use a block and take your time.

Then make sure you wait long enough after you apply your stain before applying your topcoat (s).

You should use a top coat that has UV protection and durability, so the spar varnish is a good choice.check to see the level of UV protection afforded. That is what destroys the finish....BUT, the ThermaTru door company makes a topcoat that is designed for their doors that is really good and easy to use. Water cleanup. I used it 5 years ago and will probably put the 1st re-coat on this Fall. I have also used it on outdoor furniture.

I suspect the topcoat they sell is a mixture of untinted latex paint base, but they have done something to it that really makes it durable.

I don't work for them, but have several of their doors. Good Luck. Larry