Thread: Condiment Set

Condiment Set

Any comments appreciated- Condiment set turned from yew,the mustard pot has a plastic insert from an old hair lacquer can top.

Unfortunately the colour variations between the pieces must be because the yew came from a different tree I think, and there is a slight difference in shape between salt and pepper pot top,I did not leave enough room between the chucking point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

David,
    Looks like a very nice set to me. If you have more wood you could make a closer match to the salt and pepper then you would have two sets. I like the set.

David - everything looks really good to me! I really like the salt and pepper set!

Great to see you posting again! Hope all is well with you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice job and I see "gifts" written all over those things!! Who wouldnt love a set like that, well done!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I think the set is great. The color difference is slight and the match in the general grain of the wood is excellent. Well done! Personally I think the slight differences in pieces even matched sets just shows that it was hand made rather than being machine 10,000 at a time.

Well done. Congrats on the nice set.

Joshua

Great looking set David. Salt and pepper shakers look great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with Jim. The set is very nice and would make a great gift.

Marc Himes

Nice work, I like it.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

condiment set

Thank you for all your comments its appreciated -I have to admit now that I did not enjoy turning this project, unfortunately it become a chore to finish.- Steve my back is now ok -just one small complaint I've got a crook knee at the moment, I think its what they call getting older.
    David

Good job on the set. One note, from what I understand, Yew (or at least some variations of it) can have some pretty high toxicity levels for humans. I would advise you seal everything up as much as possible if they are going to be around food. Otherwise, they look really nice.

Thanks again for your comments- Chris after your comments regarding high toxicity levels for humans, I thought I better say what did to them which was to liberally soak the inside of pots with ca glue to seal them including the holes top and bottom.

Every part of the Yew tree as you mentioned is very toxic and not just to humans but animals as well, and to boot a bugger to sand without getting heat checks.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Newson View Post
    Thanks again for your comments- Chris after your comments regarding high toxicity levels for humans, I thought I better say what did to them which was to liberally soak the inside of pots with ca glue to seal them including the holes top and bottom.

Every part of the Yew tree as you mentioned is very toxic and not just to humans but animals as well, and to boot a bugger to sand without getting heat checks.
    Ah, okay. I feel better. I just know of stories where people have gotten sick and died from ingesting food that was in contact with yew. I'm sure it was pain to sand inside and out, as well as play around with that much CA.

They do look nice though.