Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your impressions of a Jet JJ-6CSX jointer

Your impressions of a Jet JJ-6CSX jointer

Hey guys,

I found one on CL for $325, (includes mobile base), must be older-it's blue. What's good/bad about these? Should I hold out for a newer one? What should I be asking the seller? Might go check it out tomorrw depending on any advice you guys offer up.

Thanks, Scott

You'll probably get a lot of responses that say hold out for an 8"

But that is a great jointer from what I've read and a good price if it is good shape. I have a 6" jointer and it is all i've wanted/needed for what I've been doing. And it fits my garage shop better.

I bought the same one last year for $300. Nice jointer.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It's from the same factory as the older Grizzly 1182, Sunhill, GI, Woodtek, and former Bridgewood, and is a similar design to the current Ridgid 6" jointer. It's a well proven machine made in Taiwan. $325 isn't a steal but it's not outragious either.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thats a fair price and a real nice 6" jointer. I have the newer version that is about 5 years old. It has never let me down, cuts nice and smooth, and adjusts easily. I have never needed a larger jointer but I am always on the look out for a steal on an 8" I would see if can get him a little lower. I paid $399 for mine new 5 years ago, today they run over $600. The only thing I wish it had was the quick change knife system. But over time I have learned. With a staight edge I can change them out in about 5 min.

Blue means about pre 1998. Good machine. I had the same model (1998 vintage in ivory) before I bought my J/P combo. I agree that the price isn't a steal given it's age, but if it's in very nice condition, it will not be a bad buy, either. If...6" width capacity will meet your needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had one for a long time. Now a fellow creeker has it. Good machine. Just remember to release the lock on the infeed table before you crank in a depth adjust. Many of us have broke an easily replaced part by pulling that stunt.

Thanks everyone, I ended up buying it for $300. It came with an HTC mobile base a some type of jig to align the knives. The blade guard doesn't spring back to closed, guess I need some type of spring to fix that. Other than that, looks like a real nice machine in tip-tip shape, and it's my first jointer, can't wait to put it to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schwake View Post
    The blade guard doesn't spring back to closed, guess I need some type of spring to fix that.
    You might need a spring. I had the open stand version of that jointer and the spring may just need to be wound.

Cary

The blade guard doesn't spring back to closed, guess I need some type of spring to fix that.
    The blade guard is removeable. When you replace it, pre-load(twist) the knob that holds the spring so it has more tension than just being at rest and then slip the slot on the stem of the guard into the spring. You can see the spring by looking down into the hole where the stem of the guard goes into. Great jointer by the way... I have one with a byrd shelix.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

There is a blue 15 year old one for sale in or around madison, wi for $200.

Scott

It's a very nice jointer, but it is on the small side. If the typical work you do is of a size that the 6" can handle, you'll be fine. If you do purchase it be sure to either remove, or support the infeed/outfeed tables during transport. Look for the table to be individually flat, and co-planar with each other. The blades should still be servicable and not have a lot of chips and dings in them.

I have edge joined 10' long, 14" wide, 2" thick brazillian cherry on my 6" Jet jointer. It wasn't a lot of fun, but it is doable.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    There is a blue 15 year old one for sale in or around madison, wi for $200.
    Doh!

10 hours round trip, $85 in gas, I guess my local purchase for $300 was about a wash.

I noticed that one is wired for 220, what is the advantage of that? I do have a 220 outlet in my garage I could use if I made the conversion from 110 to 220.
    Last edited by Scott Schwake; 06-01-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added ? about 220

.....I noticed that one is wired for 220, what is the advantage of that? I do have a 220 outlet in my garage I could use if I made the conversion from 110 to 220.
    For a 1hp motor....pretty much nil, other than freeing up a 110v outlet.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

There is really no advantage to using 220 over 110. It may run a little cooler if pushed hard continusly. But in a hobby environment that really wont happen. On 220 it uses half the amperage, but same amount of watts, if that makes sense. Unless you arn't using the 220 outlet and you need to get some equipment off the 110 circuit I wouldn't worry about it. I run my 1 1/2 hp dust collector and my 6" jet jointer off the same circuit and it has never tripped the breaker.