Thread: Pen barrel size

Pen barrel size

I bought some new Slimline kits and after drilling the 7mm holes noticed a lot of slop in the barrels. I measured the barrels and they are 6.65 mm, is this the normal size? I had to use thick CA to get them to stay in.

2. did you drill on a drill press or on the lathe? I find I drill tighter holes in the barrels by drilling on the lathe

I too had this problem awhile back. I picked up another dirll and have not had the issue since. Both bits are the same size. Checked them with a micrometer and they were the same shaft size. The only thing I can figure is that the fluting on one was off by a few thousandths.

I'm drilling on the drill press. I ordered some new bits from Arizona so I'll see how they work. I have had several blanks spinning on the barrel while turning, no fun! I will try turning one on the lathe and see how that goes.

A slight wobble in the drill bit will not be noticable, but will result in a larger hole.
    Beware of the slight wobble.
    Joe

I measured the bit and it is 7.11mm I guess that could be my problem!

I solved the problem by switching to drilling on the lathe and I use epoxy most of the time now instead of CA.

The added benefit is that I haven't glued my fingers together in a long time.

I had the same problem awhile back. Did like Rob and ordered a new bit from Bill at AS. Cured my problem. I found the 7 MM bit I got from the local lumber yard was slightly bigger.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Epoxy

+1 for 5 minute epoxy. It works great to fill any "slop" and provides a permanent bond.

Steve

Which brand 5 min epoxy do you recommend? I have some E6000 1 part, will that do?