Thread: new shop set up

new shop set up

i started to move into my new shop this week in preparation for a job i have with the Ringling Museum. i made a list of tools and equipment that i need and got started on the items that required little or no money to complete. the lumber racks were one of those small dollar items that need to be completed first, before much of anything else. so today i finished building the racks and loading it full of lumber. my lumber pile includes;
    maple
    genuine mahogany
    maro macho
    lyptus
    jotoba
    cherry
    walnut
    radiata pine
    cypress
    white/red oak
    sapeele

my first few projects include a work bench, wall cabinet for tool storage, clamp racks, miscellaneous storage and a few small projects, like cabinet on stand, sideboard and small table.

ill post some updated photos later next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 05-31-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

I see the fire extinguisher sign pointing to an........

Invisible Fire Extinguisher?

Ed

good eyes ED. i removed the fire extinguisher to load the wood. if my hand wasn't blocking the sunlight you could see the extinguisher sitting just outside the door.
    not only are there extinguishers there are smoke detectors throughout the shop as well.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Looks like a lot of nice space there. Now get those tools setup and make some dust!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

iv been 5 years without a shop and have been doing all my cabinetry work on site with portable tools. these past 5 years i have become accustomed to setting up my job site shop in less than a 10x15 area. all my tools and processes take up very little space and are very efficient. 1000 sf is not much for a wood shop but to me its freakin' huge. now i need to re-think all my setups and tools to take advantage of the new space. im open to all ideas and suggestions so if you have anything to offer, im interested in hearing it.
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain

Congratulations Sean. That looks like a great space for your new shop. Enjoy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Tell us more about the job with the Ringling Circus!!!

the Ringling Museum is restoring the train car that John Ringling used when he traveled the country with his circus during 1900-1930. part of the restoration involves building 6 chairs that were originally used in the observation room in the back of the car. there is only one surviving chair that i have to use as a template for building the chairs and 2 tables.

anything in particular you want to know about?
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain

No particulars necessary! Sounds like a great job!

Geoff, your right it will be great job and i'll make sure to share the process with the forum.
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain

Do yourself a favor. Before you fill the shop up with any more stuff, paint the walls and epoxy the floors. White paint on the walls will brighten the shop up considerably. Sealing both the walls and floor will stop the concrete from shedding concrete dust and will make cleaning up the floor a lot easier.

Sean, glad to see a SW Florida woodworker is doing good. Venice is just a hop, skip and a jump from me.

What Rob R. wrote. Wish I had done the pre-fill work, would have saved me a ton of labor and the work would be done by now.
    David B

Wood to Stand On

.... and if there is ANY way you can cover the concrete with a wood floor you and your back, knees, hips, etc... will be very glad you did. Big job for sure, but now would be the time.

no matter how complicated it will be to move things around the epoxy and paint will have to wait a few months due to limited working capital.

i did start on my bench. it is a slight variation on the bench designed by Bob Lang. i used scraps of maple, oak, sapeele, lyptus, and cherry for the 2.75" top. i'll add some drawers and a floor and 2 vises.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain