Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Technique to Cut Circle?

Which Technique to Cut Circle?

I have to cut a 30" circle from glued up boards. I plan to use a circle cutting jig with my router. My question is which technique is better: 1. Use a 1/2" upcut solid carbide spiral bit and take progressively light cuts until the circle is completely cut through; or 2. Use a jigjaw to remove excess wood close to the edge and then use a flush cutting bit to bring the circle to the desired size? I am somewhat concerned about chipout. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just use a router with a compass jig and take about 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch at a pass - this has always worked well for me. I have heard others take one light pass with router (say 1/8 inch ), and then cut in the groove with a jig saw, and then finish off with router.

I always rough cut with a bandsaw or jigsaw first, but I leave enough that it may take me two cuts with the router to bring it to size. I usually use a spiral upcut bit. If you're going to keep the circle (like a table top), there's the issue of the center hole.

I have a MicroFence jig and really like it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

How thick is the glue-up? If it's more than an inch, do what Angie said. A light pass with the router, jigsaw it, finish with the router. Otherwise, just use the router.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If you dont want a hole in your finished piece, use double sided tape and fasten a small block of wood the workpiece. Drill your center hole in the block. You will have to also tape a block of the same thickness on the arm of the compass jig somewhere near the router so it doesnt want to tip. After you make your cuts just pop the block off and you're done.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Rough cut with a jigsaw and then use a jig and a router with a straight or spiral bit. You can make one with scrap plywood which replaces the router base (use the orig as a template to locate the screw holes) and then extends long enough to act like a compass. If you put the hole for the pivot on the bottom of the tabletop (or whatever you're making) and don't drill the hole all the way through your top you're in business. The quality of the cut is excellent -- obviously take normal precautions as to how much depth you cut --- take a few passes. Takes longer to describe than to do.
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 06-01-2009 at 2:06 AM.

Do you not have a band saw? I would suggest using a circle cutting jig on the band saw.

When I did mine several years past, I did it from the bottom and the router compass hole it still there, I suppose. Make it an easy job and do 3 light passes. Phil BT
    Philip

Cut it quickly on the tablesaw

Watch this video. This method is much quicker and safe with the sled. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/432752...on_a_tablesaw/

main website for this gent is: www.woodguy.com

I use your method 1. Eliminates registration difficulties, gives a clean edge on both grains. However, it is dusty without good DC on the router. I've never had anyone look under the top and say, "What's that hole?"

+1 Compass jig and router. You can make a jig out of 1/8" hardboard screwed to the base of yr router. Plunge through the board with yr spiral bit.

If done it with a straight bit, but the cuts can get squirelly around the end grain. I found it best to do the end grain quarters as climbing cuts (clockwise) if you use a straight bit.

If you use a good spiral, you should not have this issue and you can do the whole thing counterclockwise and safe.

I also wouldn't worry too much about upcut or downcut if you're planning to ease the edge after anyway.

Near zero risk?
    Make a templet of said diameter out of MDF first. Verifies all your arithmetic and method.
    Clamp templet to work and plunge rout the sample in stages.
    No holes to drill in the work.
    You can also avoid the pre-jig/bandsaw step with templet approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Belleman View Post
    Watch this video. This method is much quicker and safe with the sled. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/432752...on_a_tablesaw/

main website for this gent is: www.woodguy.com
    Hmmm...Seems like an easy way to lose a few fingers. I'm sure the Wood Guy knows what he's doing, but I wouldn't want to try that technique myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I've never had anyone look under the top and say, "What's that hole?"
    Thats assuming its for a table top. The OP never stated thats what this was for. Ive had the occassion where the said circle would be seen from both sides so therefore a hole wasnt an option.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Jasper circle cutting jigs are sweet...I own several of them. For a 30" disc (circle), you'll want their #300.

Just google "jasper circle cutting jig" or "jasper jig 300" and you'll be on your way.

These use a plunge router.

Also, if a pivot hole is a bother, get Japser's pivot plate (part #350) and you can carpet tape it and buzz away.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-01-2009 at 1:10 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.