Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jointer plane - skills?

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    I am sure the LN or Veritas #8 jointer planes are wonderful. However they are pricey. If you decide on buying a jointer plane you might first look on e-bay for a Stanley #7. I don't know what they are going for these days, but probably significantly less than the LN or Veritas. You can probably pick up a decent Stanley #7 on e-bay for $75-$100 versus $300 - $400 for LN or Veritas. The Stanley #7 is a little shorter than the #8, but also much more available. I use an old Stanley #7 for jointing long edges and have had great success with it. I have replaced the original blade with a Hock Blade. The original Stanley blade cuts as well as the Hock blade. The only noticeable difference is that the Hock blade lasts longer between sharpening.
    Good luck with your new exploration. By the way (WARNING) - when you start delving into handtools it becomes a never ending saga.
    David
    Have to agree with David. I've got a #7 and #8 Stanley. You can do almost any length if your willing to check your work and develop a good eye/feel for holding the plane square (or by deliberatley fiddling with the iron protruding at different angles). A good jointer plane is invaluable. LNs are nice but, out of my price range. I got my two Stanley jointers for $20 and $40 respectively. Put in some time to flatten the soles/restore. Not a complete restoration, just enough to make it accurate and get to using.

I suggest to anyone looking for a jointer plane and balking at the Veritas or Lie-Nielson prices that you contact Tom Bussey (TablesawTom). He does some wondrous things with the surface grinder to which he has access. Everything gets ground flat and square within 0.0015". I have a roundside 608 done by Tom and it is wondrous - especially when outfitted with a PM-V11 iron and Veritas chip breaker. It is still not the ductile cast iron the that Veritas and LN use nor is the depth adjuster quite as precise as the LNs. I tend to use my Veritas LA Jointer with fence after tailed jointing so there is no special skill involved there. Anyway if price is an object, work with Tom. If not, goto either Veritas or LN - cry once and be happy for the rest of your life.