Thread: Any one using RapidAir?

Any one using RapidAir?

If so, how do you like it?

The only negative i see would be that it might be tempting to run the tubing so it doesn't slope back to the tank /drain as you would with rigid pipe. Especially if i were to run it in the attic.

-brad

Never used it but it sure is tempting to try it. Looks like a very good system.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Brad

I deal with nylon tubing and press on fittings everyday at work. They are handy but have their drawbacks.

If the tubing you use isn't rated for UV it will breakdown in the sun light and get brittle. I personally wouldn't run any tubing inside a wall or anywhere I couldn't readily get at it to fix it, the fittings will fail on occasion.

It can be very hard to run in a straight line, you'll have to support it quite often. We'll often ziptie it to conduit or pipe, it likes to retain the shape of the roll that it was shipped/stored on.

Despite these drawbacks the stuff is ultra easy to work with and connect all you need is a pocket knife or utility knife and your hands to push it together.

Jerry

Thx Jerry....

Definitely not running in the walls as the shop is block / finished....

However, I could potentially run the pipe in the attic (limiting sun/uv exposure), but obviously its exposed to higher temps in return. I would not say it would be easier to support up there, but i would have a lot of trusses to anchor/tie to and could keep it straight / slope better than if i ran it inside on the ceiling/corners.

The other thing that appeals to me is their direct bury line which i could run a line to the house underground with. Though that wouldn't solve my long-time quandary with direct burial and water/moisture accumulation.

thx for the tips!
    -brad

There is a review over at NC Woodworker of this system. I like copper much better. But you do have to know how to solder pipe. Best kept secret is "Laco" brand flux. You don't have to clean joint, as it cleans as it heats. But you will have to go to a plumbing supply house to purchase it. Because many fear setting shop on fire with torch, make up assemblies for drops on the bench. Then use "push to connect fittings" put the sections together up on the wall. Both Lowes (Alligator brand,) and HD (Shark brand,) carry fittings. They also carry a release tool for later taking apart of the system, if ever needed.

Less of an issue for woodworking uses such as nailers, blow guns, and such, but the RapidAir system is fairly small diameter which limits flow. The garage guys running impact wrenches, sandblasters, and so forth have run into issues with lack of flow.

I'm finishing up my system in copper. Even if you don't already know how to solder, it is a fairly easy task to learn. I've also used the Alligator/Shark fittings in a few places where I had limited access or wanted to be able to tear things back apart if I needed to.