Thread: Blades For Multimaster

Blades For Multimaster

I was in Sears this weekend and noticed a display of accessories (blades, sanding pads, etc) for a Sears tool similar to the Multimaster. I looked on the back of one of the packs and noted that it stated that it was compatible with the Fein Multimaster. The pack contained 2 blades (wood/metal cutting) and was priced at $12.00. The mounting hole is a little different than the Fein OEM blades but it does fit tightly and I was able to use it. I don't know how long it will last but, for the price, it may be a good buy.

I'm more than a little interested in your experience with those blades. Are they E-cut or circular? I'll check them out too.
    All I saw on-line were round mounting hole cutters. Are those what you bought/used?
    Last edited by Joe Scharle; 06-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    The new Dremel and Bosch offerings state the the tools are interchangeable as well. I saw both tools and a wide selection of "blades" at Lowe's last night.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Anyone have the new Dremel? At half the price, I was thinking of getting one. But I have no use for it right now. Just something to buy.... LOL

Kyle,

I just got a new Dremel Sunday.

I tiled a bathroom countertop for the LOML and the grout failed. Initially she wanted one color to match the tile in the shower surround. I still had an unopened bucket but it was at least 15 years old. So I used the grout and it failed. Of course I can get that color grout anymore. The company who made it is long gone.

Now she's decided she wants a different color so because the Dremel was available with a grout blade she bought it for me.

I won't be using it for a couple of weeks. I'll report back after I've used it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I tried it the Fein jsut seemed like more of a tool and more powerful. But that is no suprise. What really intrests me is the new cordless Bosch. Every time I need the multi master it is on the back of a cabnet, celing or some place hard to get to without a outlet and all I need is one simple cut. Perfect for a cordless tool.

If only they took the same blade I woulld buy that I am loaded with Fein stuff.
    -=Jason=-

Love my Multimaster, but had to pay dearly and I mean lots of money for a tile set of Multimaster blades because I have a planed project in the near future. If there is a cheaper substitute, the word needs to be spread! Even if the substitute now is only for wood, that could be a significant savings, and I'm not against that.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I tried it the Fein jsut seemed like more of a tool and more powerful. But that is no suprise. What really intrests me is the new cordless Bosch. Every time I need the multi master it is on the back of a cabnet, celing or some place hard to get to without a outlet and all I need is one simple cut. Perfect for a cordless tool.

Fein offers a cordless version of the MultiMaster

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/...ster_accu.html

George

Hello,
    I have a Dremel MultiMaster.
    The blades aren't the same configuration as the Rockwell or the Fein.

The Dremel is a decent tool - typical Dremel quality.
    Not the greatest (read that as a production oriented tool), but above most other hobby oriented tools.

It's two main drawbacks:

- Lightweight & odd shape handle. I have smallish hands, so it fits me ok. However, due to the 21K spped, it vibrates quite a bit. It's not as heavy as the Rockwell, the Bosch or of course, the Fein.
    - 1 1/4" plunge cut limit. The HF unit for $39.00 on sale will plunge to a full 2". My first use on wood withh mine involved notching a 2x4. I had to make several cuts.

A third drawback, which I have to believe Dremel will address down the road is a lack of accessories/blade types. Up until a few weeks ago, the Dremel blades were for wood only. They've since added a wood & metal blade. I'm pretty sure, given the wide array of other Dremel gear, that specialty sanding attachements will be coming out as the product matures.

So far, I've used it to notch the above mentioned 2x4, cut off the plastic supplys to a kitchen faucet I replaced, used the scraper blade to remove several years of gunk from around the old faucet & cut a 45* angle on a piece of baseboard that's installed in the dining room.

Decent tool overall. It's not worth quite $99.00 though IMHO. More like $80 to $85. I got mine using a 10% off coupon from Lowes and two $20 gift cards - which were freebies with the purchase of two $100 gift cards during last Christmas season. Since the final cost was so close to the retail of the HF unit, I went with the Dremel.

FWIW - I also plan to pick up one of the HF units when they are on sale & I have a coupon. That extra 3/4" of plunge depth will come in handy,
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My dad bought the Dremel over the weekend. I was looking at the blades for it and on the back of them it said they would also fit the Fein and the Bosch cordless. So they may not look alike but according to Dremel they will interchange. Don't know about the Rockwell.

Hello,
    Dremel & Fein blades aren't really 100% interchangable.

Here's the Q&A form the Dremel site:
    Q: Is the Dremel Multi-Max system compatible with other oscillating tool systems?
    A: The Dremel Multi-Max tool only uses Dremel accessories. Dremel Multi-Max accessories are compatible with Fein Multimaster model 636 and Bosch Multi-X model PS-50.
    ---------------------------------
    The Fein model 636 isn't the current popular model that's being sold everywhere. That's the FMM 250.
    I'm not real up on the Fein lines, but I believe the 636 is the older style/older model.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I'm more than a little interested in your experience with those blades. Are they E-cut or circular? I'll check them out too.
    All I saw on-line were round mounting hole cutters. Are those what you bought/used?
    These are shaped more-or-less like the e-cut style. They are marked "wood-metal". The mounting hole is basically round with only two or three of the teeth that go fully around the Fein blades.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post

I read on toolsnob.com that the new Bosch cordless tool battery only lasts 8 minutes. I would imagine that changing out batteries all the time, or waiting for them to charge would be a little annoying. The cordless would be great for specific applications like you mentioned, but not for heavy work loads.

Sears...

Sears blades/scrapers FIT!!!!!
    Just picked up a few. HSS cir w/ flat cuts drywall just a good as Fein @ 1/4 $$$
    E-cut not so good, but plenty adequate at 1/4 $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Anyone have the new Dremel? At half the price, I was thinking of getting one. But I have no use for it right now. Just something to buy.... LOL
    I got the Dremel for Christmas. I've been quite happy with it. Just a weekend warrior, so it's not getting used heavily. But dang, it is handy dandy to have it. Used it to make some goofy cuts on our bathroom remodel & scraping up pieces of 80 y/o gunk that must've been apart of the original floor in our kitchen.

IMO, it doesn't vibrate to the point of being uncomfortable (I do have pretty big paws though) but it does get quite hot. I've been a little disappointed with thel ife of some of the blades & they won't cut through hardwoods (like oak) the greatest (make quick work of construction pine though). FTR, I've never even handled the Fein, so I have nothing to compare the Dremel to.

If I was a pro doing remodels every day, I'd splurge for the Fein (as I've never heard a bad review). For me though, the $99 price (well, if I had bought it) was good & readily available blades (local hardware store has them) are nice.