I just had this discussion with a friend of mine who is considering the purchase of a new desktop. Our consensus opinion (which I am sharing with you for free, and you get what you pay for ) was that current SSD technology is awesome for laptops, but probably overkill for desktops. I think the key selling points of the SSD right now are that it draws much less power, generates less heat, and is more resistant to being knocked around. All of these are outstanding attributes in a laptop, and if I were in the market for a new one I would absolutely put an SSD in it. However, for a desktop I still don't think the price/storage ratio on the SSD is worth the cost. I would still go with a Raid 1+0 configuration of regular hard disks. (Splurge on 10,000 RPM drives if you really must) This gives you excellent speed and redundancy with more capacity and at less cost than an SSD. On most systems you wouldn't notice the speed increase of an SSD because you are more likely to be bound by the processor and/or memory. Now, if you are into making high-performance gaming rigs, maybe you would notice the difference, but I think the average user is still going to be happy with good ole hard disks in their desktops for a while. But prices on SSDs are dropping every day I think that eventually they will completely replace hard disks.