Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not have tool-free arbor nuts?

I dunno, but I have seen drill bits fall out of "tooless" chucks. Pretty harmless given that the motion is about the axis of lowest inertia.

Not so with a saw blade.

How about this? Drill an access hole in the side of your saw and use an impact wrench to remove and install. Little need to hold the blade I would think.

Mike

To you KISS supporters. I find it funny that you post things that say that. Advances in safety and technology all violate the KISS theory. The most simple design would be exposed belts, no bladeguards, no cabinet, no dust collection. Safe? absolutely not. If you can afford that "gimmicky" slider, more power to you. Yeah, I own a sawstop. I find it far from a "gimmiky" sell. But many do claim that it is. But I may be stupid.

Speaking of that gimmicky slider, I was just going to post that a 5 horse motor would probably be too much for a tool-less changeout system, but obviously I be wrong.

I changed blades 6 times yesterday and will at least that many times today. I have no yearning for a wrench-less change as I don't see any benefit nor true need.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Tools are being developed with this very kind of crap all of the time. Its marketing to attract homeowners who are gimmick happy, like to tell their neighbors that their X has Y.

It violates the KISS principle, adds no value to the tool, and usually adds to the cost, complexity, and detracts from the reliability. Keyless chucks are great if they are of good quality, but as far as not needing a wrench to change a saw blade, come on, exactly how often do you change blades, and how can it be faster than a wrench anyway. I suggest they spend that money on better bearings instead.....
    I may change saw blades 4 or 5 times during my shop time, or not change it at all, depending upon the use.

I wish my scroll saw had tool less blade changes, especially when I'm doing pierced work.

So would I like tool less table saw blade changes? You bet, at present I require two 1" wrenches for my General saw. I have to get the two wrenches, undo the nut, loosen the nut, put the wrenches, reverse the process when installing the new blade.

Felder have a Format machine with tool less blade changes, saves money on a machine where you're counting the minutes. Not such a big deal at home, however I wouldn't characterise the Felder Format as "crap".

P.S. Many shapers have tool less spindle changes, not crap, they're on some of the best machines. Saves lots of time and money.

Regards,
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 06-04-2009 at 1:29 PM. Reason: Added Post Script

Porter Cable/DeWalt has done it with their circular saws. Not the greatest idea they've ever had.

Very hard to get the spring-loaded lever thingy slid out so that you loosen/tighten the nut with your hand. A big part of why I sold the saw.

If my cabinet saw had that kind of feature, I'd get rid of it immediately. Plus, what's the big deal? A couple of wrenches hanging off the side of your saw. 30 seconds and you've got the blade changed.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    I remember back before keyless chucks were available on our drills and we always had to take the extra time to change bits. Now most drills only require our hands. Even my recip saw and jig saw are toolless, etc.

Why haven't manufacturers of table saws come up with a method of toolless changing of saw blades? It seems to me that would be a step up in features. I know I prefer to cut wood, not spend time changing blades. Yes I know, it takes little time anyway but it didn't take much time to change a bit in a keyed chuck either but the manufacturers invented a better mousetrap anyway.

Comments? Or is there such an invention and I missed it?
    Kev
    Last edited by Jason White; 06-04-2009 at 9:44 PM.

Advances in safety and technology all violate the KISS theory.
    True enough in the case of the SawStop but not necessarily so. Most current riving knife/guard setups are little more complicated than old style user unfriendly splitter/ guard setups and offer a great increase in safety- the best guard is the one you're likely to use. I'm not opposed to technology- if it offers a real benefit. Because something is more complex doesn't mean it is necesarily better. Bill Bisemeyer's fence is a good example of the KISS theory- simpler in design compared to the old Jet Lock fence yet it works better. Would I trade my PC 310 trim router for a Colt?- no way. I worked in a shop with a bunch of Colts, they didn't hold up. I think Larry's point and mine is all too often, they're selling the sizzle instead of the steak. SawStop gimicky? - no, even without the blade brake they're fine saws in their own right and the blade brake is a notable safety advance. I just don't regard the blade brake as the Holy Grail in saw design.

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    I changed blades 6 times yesterday and will at least that many times today. I have no yearning for a wrench-less change as I don't see any benefit nor true need.

Sarge..
    I didn't either until I got a Bosch
    Suddenly I saw the light.

It's really quite nice not to have to undertake an expeditionary search for that specialty wrench.

I may long for the day when the arbor nut is tooless. But while my wreches are on the side of my saw, it is not hard to find them. Now if my boy starts playing with them, then I will have a problem. The only thing I am having a problem with at this point is the key for my saw. That is the 1st thing he goes for when we go into the shop. I have to remeber to take the key out when we get there other wise I will be looking all over for it latter on.

Personally I like porter cables design for their circ saws, that is one of the reasons I bought that saw. But it would never work for a table saw, you couldn't get the nut tight enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tim rowledge View Post
    Someone already beat you to it -
    http://www.format-4.ca/ca-us/product...canada.ca%252F

Of course, it'll cost you...

That's exactly how I was thinking about doing it...large diameter knurled nut. As they say, it's only possible if there is an arbor lock of some sort.

I purchased a Festool router with a ratchet collet. Bit changes are simple and fast.. I agree with Larry that much of the stuff is goofy, but there are some features worth paying for.

I hated changing router bits before, now.. its no big deal.

Just because DeWalt/Porter-Cable couldn't get it right there is no reason to assume nobody else can.

A large knurled/star-shaped nut and a safe way to grip the blade is all that's needed; you shouldn't be tightening the nut too much anyway.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

I will give you an example of what I am tallking about.

Bosch jigs saws used to come with a long screw driver that slid in a hole in the top. It was always in the box, right next to the new blades, so it was a no brainer. Go to the box, get a new blade, change it, and procede.

Then they came out with the "Tool Free" jigsaw. so now I have to screw with this silly plastic piece of junk that clicks when the blade is tight. How tight is that exactly? I don't know. I do know that now all of a sudden my Bosch jig saws are dropping blades, where my old one never did. I wish I had not thrown out the old one so I could have salvaged the good parts.

I bought a Dewalt copy of the Bosch thinking maybe they got it right. They didn't, it was worse, so bad in fact that I gave it away before it was smashed to bits, the fate of bad tools that tick me off. Important to improve the breed.....

My MiniMax tablesaw has a rod that drops through a hole in the table that locks the spindle for blade changes or any other work on the saw. A simple addition that can not break and should be standard on all saws as far as I can see. I keep that and the two wrenches[scoring blade]on a magnet on the Biesmeyer fence, and I have not lost them in 18 years, they are at my right hand all the time, and most importantly to me, I know exactly how tight my blade is. It takes me maybe a minute and a half to change blades, can't see where I need to be in much more of a hurry than that. And you know, that big nut has never malfuntioned.....

I may not saying that there can not be inprovements in tooling, I am just saying it is too often driven by sales and not actual tool usage. I am constantly amazed at the crap that is produced to sell at a price point, and the gimmicks that they use to attract the less than experianced. I have used many tools in the past few years that make me question the whole process. Do they actually try to use these tools?

I get so mad at companys like Porter Cable that used to build Pro Quality tools, and now build junk built to sell to a price point, with all of the current buzzword gimmicks added on, even if they do hinder actual work. Take for example the toolless collet on Porter Cables. Didn't really save time if you are at all organized, and cuts down on your range of adjustment on any router it is on, and subsequently raises your center of gravity, and sorry, but I like to tighten them with wrenches so I know exactly how tight they are.

I do have a Tersa head on my planer, now that is a time saving improvement that actually improves the work I do as it cuts better than a conventional head. So yes there are places where new is better but the nut on a tablesaw? That is a solution to a problem that does not exist.