Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respirator Opinions?

Respirator Opinions?

I am in the market for a quality respirator to protect myself from sanding dust, mostly when sanding on the lathe. The LOML recently read some article regarding the latest medical findings on the health effects of fine sawdust, and it is enough to scare ya. I have looked closely at the Trend Airshield and the Triton System. Any thoughts or comments on either unit? I believe several members here have and use the above products, and I was curious how they perform and what you like/dislike about them. I realize my new Cyclone will get a LOT of the sanding dust, and I want to protect myself as well. I would hate to have my Woodworking cut short due to circumstances I can control, and chose to ignore. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

Hi Kevin

I have a Racal AH-5, which is now the 3M Airstream 2000. I have been using it for almost eight years now, and I still really like it. It ain't cheap, but it beats the cost of medical treatment for lung or other respiratory disease, dental work, etc. Even at the new price of $619.00, it is not that bad when you consider the useful life of the unit. Figure mine is eight years old and going strong. That works out to a little less than $78.00/yr. Now, it does use filters, but they go a long time, and I had to replace the battery, but I built a new one for a lot less than the storebought ones, and it is more powerful to boot, so I think it is a good deal.

Just the other day I finally forked out for a 3M Breathe Easy so I can have the same protection when I am spraying finish. I bought a used unit through Airware America. Perhaps you might be able to get the same kind of deal on a dust respirator.

Bill

Kevin,

I recently bought the Trend, but haven't really used it yet. It seems to fit well and feels light enough to wear for a long time. Looks like a very sweet solution. I know Ken has one and has posted favorable remarks in the past. I got mine for around $269 from Osolnik Machinery.

Good luck.

Jack

Kev,

I can tell you that a DustFoe won't work well under any type of face protection during turning. However, it is a great little dust mask for general purposes and even while sanding on the lathe. One of these days, I'll upgrade to a nicer full face protection type respirator.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The Triton is reviewed in the Fall 2004 dissue of Woodturning Design. The author, Wes Demarest, indicated it was well made, but had some dfficiencies. Chief among those is distortion in the visual field from the shield. He also found the sound of the fan to be quite annoying, especially when his head was in "certain positions". he could live with the noise if necessary, but the optical qualities were a real problem with no solution based on his contact with the manufacturer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kevin,

Ditto what Bill said on all points. I have the 3M Airstream AS-400 and you can't beat it if you want full lung, head and eye/face protection (hearing protection is optional). It's a quality unit. Distortion is not an issue at all like it is with the Triton "bubble" shield. The AS-400 pumps a few more cfm than it's "brother", the AS-200. This comes in real handy here in the heat of South Texas. It is balanced quite well, so extended wearing doesn't bother my head, neck, or back at all. I also wear contact lenses and it doesn't pump so much air that it dries out my eye's/contacts, which was a concern I had. Like was said, it's not an inexpensive purchase, but in the grand scheme of things it's a bargain. You don't get much at the doctors office for around $600-700. IMHO, if your serious about keeping the dangerous dust out of your lungs, PAPR's are the way to go. BTW - sanding a Jara burl bowl was what finally made me decide to go PAPR, and I should have done it sooner...

I happened to get mine from Enviro Safety Products (no affiliation) and they were nice folks to deal with.

Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 08-15-2004 at 11:28 PM.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    kevin - I have the Airshield by Trend and I really like it. It has been a godsend for me since I have had a lot of breathing problems. I just purchased a second battery (it holds 2) which gives me 8 hours of usage time per charge. It could be one of the best tool purchase I have made in quite sometime. For under $300.00 I think it is the best bang for the buck in respirators.

Like Kevin, this is a subject of interest for me, as well. BUT, are there any popular choices for the non-powered type of units? Yeah, I know: Safety and health concerns should supercede budget concerns, but there must be a safe and comfortable unit (probably non-powered) under $275.00 big ones! I think? Maybe? Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Non Powered Unit

John I'm very happy with a non powered unit from 3M that I bought through ENVIRO products. With extra set of filters ran under $50.00. Very Effective. I had problem with Cherry wood only when both cutting and/or Sanding. Problem stopped (coughing) when I began faithfully using this 3M unit. I give it high grades with a minimal investment. Inexpensive protection thats fairly comfortable to use, And you can hide a piece of Cheese inside the Mask!

Jerry,
    Do you have a model number or picture? I currently use a cartridge type unit from the BORG, but am looking for something more comfortable. Thanks.

Mark

11. There is a very comprehensive review of the Triton Respirator by Bill Esposito at http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...respirator.htmMight make the decision a little easier, or at least answer some of your questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    John I'm very happy with a non powered unit from 3M that I bought through ENVIRO products. With extra set of filters ran under $50.00. Very Effective. I had problem with Cherry wood only when both cutting and/or Sanding. Problem stopped (coughing) when I began faithfully using this 3M unit. I give it high grades with a minimal investment. Inexpensive protection thats fairly comfortable to use, And you can hide a piece of Cheese inside the Mask!
    Jerry, thanks for the input. As Mark inquired, any model number for that unit? Also, how's it do when using with safety glasses and/or full face shield? My safety glasses are on my nose almost immediately upon entering the shop and I use a full-face helmet when turning. Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

FYI 3M Resp

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...7500series.htm
    John, Its 7500 series by 3M. Enviro good to deal with. There will be postage fee Highly rated on protection by US Govt .Get the higher rated 0ne ( believe its 99 vs 95) I find it easy to also wear safety goggles @ same time. It works for me. Don't forget the CHEESE!! Let me know if I can help further! Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...7500series.htm
    John, Its 7500 series by 3M. Enviro good to deal with. There will be postage fee Highly rated on protection by US Govt .Get the higher rated 0ne ( believe its 99 vs 95) I find it easy to also wear safety goggles @ same time. It works for me. Don't forget the CHEESE!! Let me know if I can help further! Jerry
    Thanks Jerry! Looks like that might just be the ticket and I'd even have a few bucks left over for some wood!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Norton and MSA both make excellent products and I prefer them over the 3M product. I buy either of them for our plants. NOTE: you can get cartidges for them that will be rated for BOTH dust and organic fumes (paint), though I prefer to get the individual cartidges.

If you can, spend a couple of dollars more and get them from a local company - look under safety supplies in the yellow pages. You should get, at no charge, instructions on how to properly use the unit and a fit test. These are VERY important. We deal with asbestos in our plants and respirators are a key piece of PPE.