Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most important safety rule...

The most important safety rule...

I'm a Norm fan - few have done more to promote woodworking - but I disagree with him on one point. We're all familiar with his admonition to wear safety glasses. To quote:

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses."

I obviously agree that safety glasses are important. Heck, they are essential. But, if I had to choose between safety glasses and my earplugs, I probably would pick the earplugs.

Here's why: the likelihood of me having an accident and injuring my eyes is relatively small. Sure, it happens everyday, but there also gobs and gobs of people who do woodworking-type activies without safety glasses and never have an accident. On the other hand, I know of NOBODY who has worked around power tools for much of their lives and not worn hearing protection who didn't suffer some hearing loss. For many people, especially later in life, hearing loss can occur at a debilitating level.

This isn't to start a debate about Norm, but just to highlight that, IMHO, hearing protection is just as important as safety glasses, but it's rarely mentioned. On many shows, including Norm's, the hosts often operate machinery with no hearing protection.

In my shop, hearing and eye protection are both mandatory.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

If my ears were damaged from the noise in the shop, I would still be able to read your post. I wouldn't hear that truck coming from behind me though.......

I hate to disagree, that there is a choice. IMO, there should be NO option to choose ear over eye or vice versa. There are a few tools that make little noise. I use my drill press all the time without earplugs, but it makes VERY little noise. No need to use earplugs instead of safety glasses. Table saw, band saw, router all warant both. I do agree that Norm should start professing use of earplugs/muffs. He is my idol.

You can get a hearing aid. Works reasonably well. You can also get a glass eye, but it does not work that well. Safety glasses are always on and a must have for me. I had 1 close call from a flying chunk of wood that hit my eyebrow...... I have 5 or 6 pairs of them so I almost always have one within reach.

Don't forget dust mask/lung protection while you're on the safety bandwagon. Safety shoes help too. Lots of things can go wrong. All it takes is a microsecond and your hobby/job could be on the shelf for the rest of your life.

I agree completely, Kyle...both are critical. But, for whatever reason, ear protection is rarely mentioned.

I personally must develop better habits about wearing a respirator. I have good dust collection machines, but hate putting on a mask. But, I know it is the right thing to do, and I plan on doing a much better job of it.

Must be my industrial background however when using any tool with a universal motor, I wear ear muffs.

Same for when the dust collector is on, or using the table saw/shaper, planer/jointer.

As previously mentioned I don't wear ear muffs when using the drill press, or the lathe.

I do however wear safety glasses, even when using hand tools such as chisels etc.

I also wear workboots since I'm a klutz and have been known to drop drill press vises on my foot.

Another safety item, use machinery guards. If you can't use the guard, you're either using the wrong machine, or need a different guard.

Regards, Rod.

This is like that old torture favored by Chinese pirates. They would tell you they were going to cut off one limb, an arm or a leg. Then they would give you the night to think about which one you wanted them to cut off. The next morning they would come back with the sword and ask you which limb you wanted to lose. If you couldn't make up your mind they would tell you that if you left the decision to them, they would simply remove your head. Maybe it would be prudent to protect all of your body parts.... eyes, ears, hands, etc. Why should one have to make a choice? Of course, if you were to carry this to the extreme, you could end up trying to work in a suit of armor....
    David DeCristoforo

Here's what I use. No Chinese pirates gettin' in here with their fangled machettes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Here's what I use..."

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Here's what I use. No Chinese pirates gettin' in here with their fangled machettes!
    Great, except for your fingers, better buy a Saw Stop as well

Regards, Rod.

I would hate to have to choose but if I did eye protection would win hands down for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

What is that for? Deep-lava diving?

I've worked on and around drilling rigs since I was 20 years old. As a result, my hearing is pretty poor, even when wearing a couple of $6000 hearing aids. But, while my eyesight is starting to worsen at 57 years old, I can still see to read, drive and work in the shop without corrective lenses.

To me, there is no question which is the most important to protect and it's definitely the eyes. Hearing damage is generally gradual and cumulative over a lifetime. If you lose an eye(s) to injury, it is immediate and complete. I wouldn't want to lose either but one's eyesight is infinitely more precious than one's hearing.

That said, I do wear ear muffs when running most of the equipment in the shop, with the lathe and drill press being exceptions, although I wear them a lot at the lathe when sanding because I have the DC running, too. I always have my safety glasses on, even for the tasks that don't require them.

Oh yeah, I've heard Norm say on many episodes to also wear hearing protection "when appropriate."
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    one's eyesight is infinitely more precious than one's hearing.
    I sure don't disagree, but some would. Ask a musician which is more important.

I suppose I opened a space for debate when I speculated that I'd prefer earplugs over glasses if forced to choose. The real point, though, is that hearing protection is a critical piece of safety equipment that often seems to be considered optional or secondary to glasses.

For me personally, I want to keep both my hearing and my eyesight!

we laugh, but you can find plenty of youtube videos with people wearing so much crap that a) they can't see what they're doing and b) they catch a string or some such at every turn, and actually hurt themselves due to all of the stuff they're wearing.

Could you guys please type LARGER. I'm an old woodworker and I can barely hear what your posting.