Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guys, ask your wives: What's the best bed sheet thread count?

Guys, ask your wives: What's the best bed sheet thread count?

We're getting new sheets for the beds. Tired of the little balls all over the sheets.

We've been looking. Store help has been pretty much MIA or ignorant.

We've seen 240 all the way up to 600. What's a good stopping point?

Thanks, Todd

400 should be more than enough....do you have a polo outlet near you? check out the sheets....soft like butter...without being ridiculous

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...you're telling me that burlap sheets aren't good enough? ...and if it gets cold just add a dog, or two, ...or three if frost forms on the inside of the single glazing...

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Thread count is only half the question . These days there are machines that make thread finer (read: Cheap and skinny) so the sheets can be fronted with a high thread count and still they are trash.

It's like there's a whole philosophy geared strictly toward ripping people off.

Oh yah right, it's called Marketing.

If cost isnt a factor to you go as high as you can afford on thread count.

I believe they go as high as 700.

Those would be some very comfortable sheets! An pricey too.

The women in my wifes family discuss thread counts from time to time... few different opinions but it basically boils down to personal feel of the material.

Some company's use a thinner thread. Not all threads are equal. So you should look for higher thread count and a great feel. But dont ignore a slightly lower thread count from a quality product line.

Good luck shopping. Probably clear as mud.
    One good turn deserves another

After going to 600 we havent used anything else. Now I hate it when we stay at hotels and they have those notebook paper sheets!!
    600's are pricey but to me worth every penny!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I haven't done a study on this, but it seems as if there's some fibbing on thread count - sort of like the HP on hand held power tools. I've seen some sheets that claim to have high thread count, but when you look at them, the weave doesn't seem to be any finer than some sheets with lower thread count. I think what some of them do is count the strands that are wound into a single thread. So maybe they have a thread that is made up of four strands of fiber, then that tread is woven into cloth at 200 tpi. They'll advertise that as 800 tpi.

If at all possible, put your hand on the cloth and feel it. That will tell you whether you want to sleep on it. Also look at the price - you don't want to pay extra just to pay extra, but if it seems too cheap, it probably is.

Mike

[Rick G. gives some good advice above.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gifford View Post
    One good turn deserves another
    .... In this case it should read.... One good turn deserves all the covers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    .... In this case it should read.... One good turn deserves all the covers
    haha, indeed.

I don't ask the LOML because she didn't know that thread count went over 300. I buy at least 600 thread count and look for quality sheets with 800 thread count on sale but haven't found any yet.
    I have found that the lower thread count sheets end up with little balls of thread all over them after they are washed a few times. I could be wrong about the lower thread count sheets because I have never purchased high quality low thread count sheets.
    My skin is very sensitive, it there is a tiny grain of sand on the sheet, it feels like a rock to me. Nerve endings very close to the surface.
    Like Mike wrote, put your hand on the sheets, the closer it feels to satin more than likely the thread count is high.
    David B

LOML once nagged me about buying high threadcount sheets once. so I pulled one out that was 400 and one that was 600 or higher. I asked her if she can feel the difference... It was amazing how quiet she got.

Personally, I like flannel sheets. But hey, I am a wierdo like that.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    +1 on the flannel sheets! Cheaper and I really do prefer them, as does the LOML!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I ALWAYS sand to 600, Todd...240 is like rough cut....

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

14. There's a company called Sierra Trading Post which sells clothing, outdoor gear, and household items like sheets and towels. You can get some pretty great stuff at extremely low prices through them.

I've bought a few dog beds and several sets of sheets. Couldn't be happier with the prices or the quality of the stuff. And they have a great customer service department.

LOML buys 1000 count and they sure are thick & smooth.
    She makes sure I keep my toenails trimmed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney