Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Guys, ask your wives: What's the best bed sheet thread count?

These were an Amazon gold box deal a few days ago for $59. I bought a set of 1000 count from Amazon on sale about a year ago for $39 and they have been excellent, the best sheets we've ever used, so the wife has been bugging me to buy more if they go on sale again, so I ordered these; haven't got them yet though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Art,
    The mattresses end up with two "troughs" within 6 months.

but I have a frozen shoulder problem and can't seem to get comfortable with out pain while rolling around in my trough.
    The Sleep Number bed seems to be a good answer to solve the trough or canyons as I think of them.

[threadjack]

I have this same problem, but it's because the mattress is a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law's house. It's horrid. (It has a very interesting label, which I would photograph and post if TOS didn't forbid such things. Hilarious, I tell you.)

I like the feel of memory foam, but I'm concerned that it would absorb sweat, etc., and be a funky mess in a year. I've also never "slept" on one, only laid on it for a few minutes in the stores.

Any thoughts? Would you like your memory foam if the temperature in your area ranged from 32f-120f (six months of the year 90f+)?

[/threadjack]
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Eric, when we were shopping for a new mattress to replace the one I had for many years, we did take a look at the memory foam type as part of our shopping research. They were quite comfortable from a support standpoint, but Professor Dr. SWMBO really has an issue with being too warm...and that was something that was going to be an issue with the foam mattress, even with lying on it for a few minutes in the showroom. That and the ability to customize the support and firmness on both sides of our king size bed drove us directly to Sleep Number. No regrets in the least. While they are not inexpensive, they tend to last a lot longer than a traditional mattress and if some component breaks, it's likely that you can get a replacement part rather than having to change to a whole new mattress. I also like the ability to change the setting to best match sleeping position, too. There are occasionally times when I find the need to be on my side, rather than on my back, and the support needs are very different for these positions.

We are also not "small people"...the SN accommodates that very nicely in that the firmness is relative to the weight of the individual. You make your adjustments while lying on the bed and the amount of air pressure in the mattress is relevant to "you" for a given setting.

We bought the "middle" version of the SN with the intermediate soft top. It didn't feel necessary to get the deeper soft top.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-07-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The memory foam mattresses are a love hate thing from the reading I have done on the Internet. I bought the Tempurpedic knock off so I can't honestly say if the Tempur Pedic is better. The thing I didn't like about the memory foam was when it was hot the mattress was to soft and when it was cold it was like a brick until my body heat warmed it up. When I would roll over I would hit a brick again until the foam was warmed up.
    I have found that if you sleep on foam you need something between you that insulates your body from the foam so your body heat dissipates rather than making you sweat. Back in the late 60s I bought a foam mattress from Sears, I loved the mattress but wasn't smart enough to insulate myself from the foam and was miserable sweating in the Summer heat when I lived in Sacramento CA.
    I have had hand me down mattresses that one of my wives had when we got together that were 10-15 years old and still in great condition and were very comfortable. They were innerspring like the ones I have now. We got rid of the mattress because it was to small.
    My parents had a water bed for a few years and they used lambswool cover to insulate themselves from the plastic bladder material. If you do go the memory foam route you might try the lambs wool mattress cover as was suggested by one of the earlier posters.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    If you do go the memory foam route you might try the lambs wool mattress cover as was suggested by one of the earlier posters.
    Lamb's wool? In this heat?

I'd rather sleep on my barbecue.

I'll add the "dial a number" beds to our search. A bed is an investment, if you ask me. You really can't put a price on a good night's sleep.

Besides, maybe they offer a glycol-chilled recirculating system to siphon heat from the bed. That would be cool (figuratively and literally).
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Eric,
    The reason wool is the ideal choice is it breathes and wicks moisture away from your body. I wear wool socks in my boots year round when I am outside working. Once in a while I wear thin smooth socks inside of the wool socks. For the same reason wool long johns are great in the cold weather.
    You don't want to have wool on top of you in warm weather or you would barbecue or grill (depending on where you live)
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    We pulled the trigger tonight on some 800 TC Egyptian sheets in Macy's Hotel Collection. They seem pretty nice. They were on sale (reg. $250 for just a flat sheet, on sale for $149, and then we got 15% off of that, so in total, ~$350 for the fitted, the flat and a pair of std pillows). Will report back when we give them a test drive. May be a couple weeks.
    $350 for a set of sheets!? $350 would keep me in sheets probably the rest of my lifetime and I'm only 37. I buy a set of $30 to $40 sheets and they last a few years.

I'm not married and I don't wash them enough and they usually get stained before they wear out.

Buying a new mattress is worse than buying a used car. At least you can fix the car.
    Oh, hope you like the sheets Todd!
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I'm not married and ... they usually get stained before they wear out.
    Gross. TMI.