Thread: Cherry wood gloat

Cherry wood gloat

I got a call from a friend to see if I wanted some wood. I drove by to find a complete Cherry tree cut and stacked for me. This is only half of the wood.
    I am concerned that the wood has already started to check. What should I do now?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the best.

Don

it's best if you can cut off the checking than seal.........ASAP.......or sooner
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

I would cut off the checked ends and then cut it up depending on what you want to do with it. First and foremost is get the pith out of it. Then get the ends sealed. I had a load of walnut that I cut up into bowl blanks running the chainsaw right down the middle of the pith and sealed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Don - congrats on all the Cherry! Love turning that stuff! Hope you get it sealed in time cause that stuff does want to check fairly fast! Other than that - start roughing out! Enjoy!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!