Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying bandsaw blades

Buying bandsaw blades

Who do you buy bandsaw blades from?

I know Timber Wolf gets talked about a lot on here but a 2004 Fine woodworking blade review did not make them stand out at all.
    In fact the T.W. PC blade did not do as well as the Grizzly carbon blades.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

http://woodcraftbands.com/Pricing%20page.htm has good prices on Lenox stock with good welds. Michael Fortune uses blades from BCsaw.com , I think from Starrett blade stock.

Iturra Design

"bladerunner" resaw blade (same bulk coil stock as WoodSlicer)

Toll Free: 866-883-8064

Office: 904-371-3998

Fax: 904-371-3998

E-mail:
    KALLL@comcast.net

4636 Fulton Road
    Jacksonville, FL.
    32225-1332

Blog Entries
    A lot can change in 5 years but per the review the Highland Hardware Woodslicer seems to be the way to go. At a 2 to 1 price difference on my size blades, the TW have been serving me well. I'm glad for your thread though as I really should try something else. If I'm happy with TW, maybe I could be happier(?). Its happened before.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I love the Lenox Trimaster on my big saw, and it will be a while before I wear mine out, I hope. Suprisingly enough, I found the best deal on it to be from one of the local welding supply stores, who is a Lenox dealer. Can't beat the customer service either.

On my little saw, I use the same Starrett blade that I saw someone famous touting some time ago. Maybe it was Fortune. Dosen't really matter where you buy that stuff, as long as its from a Starrett coil. Many companies resell it.

+1 for Highland. I am very happy with my TW blades. And this thread reminds me, it's time to re-up.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Highland Hardware. Wonderfull people with outstanding customer service.

I use the 3tpi hook tooth blade from Ellis Mfg. Co. A 105" blade costs about $8.00 or so. I like the Timberwolf, and it's maybe a little better in green wood due to a bit wider tooth set, but at half the price, the Ellis blades do just fine, and seem to stay sharp as long as the TW. I also like the Woodslicer for resawing. Slow, but very clean cut.

A 1/2" TW 3tpi for resaw, and Olsen 1/4" 6tpi for everything else. 105".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I bought some great blades from Iturra Designs. They make blades to order, if they don't have your size already in stock. Their catalogue is more than products, it has lots of information and opinions on all things bandsaw.

I'm relatively new to bandsaws, and Louis (the owner) spent some quality time on the phone with me, advising what would work best for the various tasks I wanted to accomplish. They send some items right away, and the rest came later when they got materials from their suppliers and welded my blades.

So my experience with Iturra has been very very good, and the blades cut wonderfully.

In case you're interested, here's the contact info
    Toll Free: 866-883-8064
    Office: 904-371-3998
    Fax: 904-371-3998
    E-mail: KALLL@comcast.net
    4636 Fulton Road
    Jacksonville, FL.
    32225-1332

I buy from BC Saw & Tool in Toronto. Excellent quality and service. For resaw, I have a carbide-tipped 1" blade from Suffolk Machine, the folks who make the Timberwolf blades.

I hated my Timberwolf blades--they just could not stand up to resawing Maple.

I got a Laguna Resaw King with a used bandsaw I bought, and have been sold on them since. I almost bought a Lenox for my MM24, but with the sales from Laguna right now, the RK was significantly less.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I buy from BC Saw & Tool in Toronto. Excellent quality and service. For resaw, I have a carbide-tipped 1" blade from Suffolk Machine, the folks who make the Timberwolf blades.
    Does BC saw sell to the USA? They were rated very well, for the price, in the Fine Woodworking review?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Any experance with Grizzly blades other than what came with the saw?

My guess is the blade with the saw would be a lower grade than the regular stock they sell. But it is just a guess.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Does BC saw sell to the USA? They were rated very well, for the price, in the Fine Woodworking review?
    Yes. the shipping is a little stiff, so I order a bunch at a time. Their price makes up for it.