Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not engraving 5,000 pens......

I'm not engraving 5,000 pens......

Someone asked me for 5,000-8,000 pens with their company logo on it......for under $1 each.......anyone have a good source (I assume a promotional products company) for something like that? She almost keeled over when I told her how much an ENGRAVED pen would cost.........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hi Steve,
    National Pen Corp, Shelbyville Tn
    I'm assuming she wanted the pen also at the $1.00 price?
    Last edited by Brian Robison; 06-05-2009 at 8:12 AM. Reason: Adding Content
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Thanks Brian......that was exactly what I was looking for.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Blog Entries
    Sheesh, Steve, what a bargain... you could quote her $0.99/pen, have them made by a company for $0.49/each, and bank several thousand for practically zero work on your part. Man, I want orders like that to come in!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sounds like a plan.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Steve, if you wait a minute I'll get you a number for a sales rep I know there.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

OK.....thanks!

Steve,

You might want to check with I-Mark also, If for nothing else they have a great line of pens (much better selection than most awards suppiers)

and the they are resonanbly priced enven for 1 up blanks.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Steve that is exactly the jobs we do here in the philippines. At the rate we are offering, she can probably get them cheaper if we were to do it here. And that's inclusive of shipping back and forth!

Hey Steve the rep I was thinking of was promoted but referred another person. Tamera York 1-888-672-8114
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Steve you might want to check with imprintor.com, they sell a pad printing rig for close to 2k. you could buy the pens for 15-30 cents and more than pay for the printer. Then you would have a new service to offer. I have been waiting for that same chance but it just hasnt come along.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

I would advise being very careful when considering pad printing equipment. There is no business I know of that's more competitively priced. There are also EPA concerns.

Be prepared to work on margins as low as five cents.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If you're quoting $1 per pen on a job like that, you're way off. You can do them in a row, probably takes less than 10 seconds each to do and you do a table full at a time. You could easily do them at 20 cents each and make $60 per hour on a large job like that. It's easy work.

Just my opinion. I'd take the job for 20 cents each. That's about 14 hours worth or work for $1000. I'll take $1000 for a long days work.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, I have a jig setup to do wood pens in batches. Even so, you are way under valuing your services. I have a regular customer that pays $10 each. $2 more if color filled. They ship them to me and include a prepaid mailer for the return.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

As the replies above indicate, there are a number of options to make money on this type of deal even as a pass through.