Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moment of panic before you push the button

Moment of panic before you push the button

Got an e-mail from a friend yesterday - "Help, my stepsister is getting married and I need a wedding gift."

No problem, we'll just engrave the invitation on this lovely glass photo frame and you're good to go. When's the wedding? Saturday. When are you leaving? Tomorrow.

Am I the only one who has that moment of panic just before hitting the start button? I have only one frame, so no back up and no time to order a replacement if I goof up. Double check settings - check. Mirrored for reverse engraving - check. Proof read ONE MORE TIME - check. Correct placement of frame for engraving - check. Still, just before I hit start I feel that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Please tell me I'm not alone!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Yep, you are all alone, I just press start and don't think twice about it....... Then I panic trying to find a new frame.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Can you do this on a plain piece of window glass first? Even though I mostly laser glass, I always do a test on window glass before I commit to the more expensive glass.

I experience this "panic" feeling when I attempt new materials. I "know" others laser wood and acrylics and paper and matt board and ..... all the time.. but, for me, there is a huge "what if I damage the laser" factor associated with hitting the print button..

I am sure the gift will look great and bring lots of joy and happiness to both figiver and new couple..

nancyB
    Xenetech xlt1325,
    Corel 13,
    Rayzist 2034 blastcabinet

Belinda,

Like Tim, I usually don't panic when I push the button.

Panic usually occurs after I lift the lid to remove the piece!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

What? Me worry?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm with you Belinda. For me, it is far greater on a CNC where the machine can do serious damage to itself if things go wrong. If I only have one item to laser, I run the job on scrap first.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I'm with you Belinda. For me, it is far greater on a CNC where the machine can do serious damage to itself if things go wrong. If I only have one item to laser, I run the job on scrap first.

Cheers,
    Doug
    Don't even get me started on the CNC Doug!

I ran the job first on posterboard.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda, I'm a member of this Club as well

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

The policy around our shop is: "Never engrave something you can't afford to replace". We do make an exception for a custom knife maker who has knives that sell for more than I would care to spend. Even though he says he can fix anything we goof up... there is always that moment of second guessing.
    Epilog Mini 24 60w, Pinnacle-GCC 30w, PlasmaCam

10. if I ever have concerns like that I put painters tape on the item and run it at just enough power to mark the tape.. that way there's no question what my result will be when I switch back to the right settings for what i'm engraving.

Yep painters tape and I also use heavy paper. What is it 60lb.? Sumthin like that.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones FL View Post
    if I ever have concerns like that I put painters tape on the item and run it at just enough power to mark the tape.. that way there's no question what my result will be when I switch back to the right settings for what i'm engraving.
    I use poliester masking tape usually orange and semi transparent which let me see the exact position of the engraving before hitting the button, u usually engrave to the tape with low power and ppi enought to mark the tape without touchin the glass
    Custom built PC Water Cooled Intel CoreI7 Gulftown 6Core CPU 3.597GHZ , 24GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 with triple 22" Monitors

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *Epilog FiberMark 20W - Rotary Attachment
    *ULS V460 50W-Dual Head-Rotary Attachment-Vector Cutting Table
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    * New Hermes IS400IQ Rotary Engraver
    * New Hermes IS400TM Rotary Engraver
    *Vision 1624 Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Please tell me I'm not alone!
    Yup. No matter how many tests I run or how many times I double-check it, when I know I have only one shot at it, I am still hesitant to hit the Go button. Once I hit Go, I can only watch it for a few seconds to make sure it starts okay and then I can't watch it engrave. I have to look away until it's finished.

Some could say I'm being over-cautious, but I know from past experience that even if I have checked it multiple times, I have still had a few incidents that ended with an Oops. (It can be as simple as pressing Ctrl+Z to undo your last edit when you thought you pressed Ctrl+S to save.)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Once I hit Go, I can only watch it for a few seconds to make sure it starts okay and then I can't watch it engrave. I have to look away until it's finished.
    Not me. I'm still mesmerized by the laser. I've wasted more time just watching it do it's magic. At the same time, I've hit the stop button a few times just in time to save a piece... sometimes a few seconds late.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Just got a super rush job last week, guy flying to his mother's 80th birthday and wanting a gold-lettered plaque (to go on a fancy custom made bible stand) on a wood I've never lasered before. Only one piece of the wood. Checked, re-checked, ran it light on blue tape, then *GULP* hit Go. It came our beautifully and my bood pressure dropped back to normal. Sigh.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.