Thread: Table Saw Pricing

Question Table Saw Pricing

I am fairly new to the forum and I hope that this topic is OK with folks. I need a little advice. I have made the decision to move from my current Powermatic table saw to a European slider. This means it is time to sell the Powermatic, but I am struggling with how to price it and how to sell it. I would expect that many in the forum would have views and experience that they might be able to share with me. The core of the problem is that the saw is very heavily accessorized. It is a 3HP, single phase Powermatic 66 with about $1200 worth of Jointech equipment and a built in router table arrangement that has a Triton TRA001 and a Unilift router lift. It also sits on an HTC mobile base. All these accessories would make the saw a box maker's dream, particularly given the fact that it has only around 20 hours of actual use on it. I am located out near San Francisco and have thought about both Craigslist and eBay, but the saw is so unique I am not sure about a workable approach. Thoughts and suggestions would be very much welcomed!

IMO... you may have put yourself in a classic.. "between a rock and a hard place" situation. There will be many looking for a used PM 66 but... how many will be willing to go the additional price of the added equipment they probably don't need nor can afford looking for a used TS to begin with.

Similar to adding swimming pool to a home you paid full price for. There is a certain amount of resale value depending on what.. where.. etc. If used homes around you are selling for XX.. you cannont exceed that fair market price by to far unless you find a specific buyer that wants a pool and feels you have a fair deal for them.

You can put it on the market to get a feel.. but you may have to break the unit down and sell off individual components. And because it only has 20 hours.. it is still used so I doubt you will get more than 70% of retail as it is still used. There are lots of used in my local market now and some are gong for $.30 on the dollar as people are behind on mortgages and very desperate.

I would ask yourself why you need a slider.. do you intend to cut large amount of sheet goods where is shines.. etc. If you don't come up with a really valid answer and you can't get what you feel the PM and accessories are worth.. you might re-consider your decision.

Good luck..

Sarge..

I would suggest selling the PM 66 and Jointech together, and separating the router and lift.

Use craigslist first. You're buyer will more likely than not be local.

As a reference, I just bought a used Laguna cabinet saw with Jointech fence for $1500 in good to very good condition. I'd probably start in the $2300-$2500 range...

Welcome Fred! Which slider are you looking at?

One really good way to target an audience that "gets" what your machine is worth is to list it here in the classifieds. You'll need to become a contributor, I think it's $6 now, to use that part of this forum.

Steve, thanks for the classifieds suggestion and I appreciate the welcome! I am looking at various slider options with a focus on the smaller Felder and Mini Max units hopefully with a molder that also can double as a router. I am more interested in the accuracy and safety features than the ability to handle large sheet goods.

Fred, you'll like the upgrade to the Euro machine. I have a Felder CF741, so I'm biased that way, but Felders quick change spindle design is a thing of beauty for doing different things with your shaper. Highly recommended.

I'm sure we can all help you spend your money as you get deeper into decision time