Thread: The Texas Tele Project. Update 06-05-09

The Texas Tele Project. Update 06-05-09

It's been almost a month since the last update. I have been thinking through the project and finishing the routing templates. I have also been busy installing an above ground pool for the family...when they are cool and happy, I have more time for guitar building. While installing a pool is no big deal by itself, this installation required moving a yard barn, tearing down, reversing and rebuilding a section of fence and leveling an area big enough for the pool.

Anyway, progress is being made and there are lots of new pics to view.

The full project
    http://www.crenshawweb.com/texastele/texasteleproject.htm

6-05-09 Updates!

Table saw expansion
    http://www.crenshawweb.com/texastele/ttp04.htm#tables

Custom router table.
    http://www.crenshawweb.com/texastele/ttp07.htm

The body back and top are cut out, profiled and glued up.
    http://www.crenshawweb.com/texastele/ttp08.htm

Peace,
    Mark

Mark, if it comes out even close to your awesome graphics it’s going to be one cool guitar!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That is so freakin cool! I wanna learn how to build guitars just so I can do something like that!

This is a cool post...

You get an A in...
    - nice project
    - nice post (graphics and website)

The grain in your guitar is absolutely wonderful. In fact, it's so nice, that every woodworker in the audience would cheer even if it played out of tune!

Well done!

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Great project and great guitar, a Tele is the only electric I'll play. I just love the tone!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Mark, if it comes out even close to your awesome graphics it’s going to be one cool guitar!
    Hi Bruce. Thanks for the kind words. If only woodworking had an "undo" feature like Photoshop does.
    Last edited by Mark Crenshaw; 06-08-2009 at 9:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Konikowski View Post
    That is so freakin cool! I wanna learn how to build guitars just so I can do something like that!
    Thanks Chris!

It's a matter of perspective I guess. I would shutter at attempting a furniture build...though my wife is expecting a bench and table for the front porch this summer.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    You get an A in...
    - nice project
    - nice post (graphics and website)

The grain in your guitar is absolutely wonderful. In fact, it's so nice, that every woodworker in the audience would cheer even if it played out of tune!

Well done!

-Jeff
    Thanks Jeff!

The graphics are second nature since I do it for a living but I only know enough about websites to get the job done...nothing fancy.

I really got lucky on the top wood. When I bought the billet, I was a bit unsure what it would look like when I sliced it open...gonna do my best to make it "play like butter", too.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Great project and great guitar, a Tele is the only electric I'll play. I just love the tone!!
    Hi Jim!

I have Strats, Les Pauls and a few others but I have always wanted a Tele. I played one many years ago but it was before I could appreciate their unique voice. Though I'm a mild County fan, players like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley have sparked my interest in the Tele.

I'm very eager to get the Texas Tele completed! I'll post some audio clips when I get it finished.

What modle/year Teles do you play?

Peace,
    Mark

Very cool! I've played guitar for almost 25 years now and have never owned a tele. So I'm building one too. I just installed the truss rod and skunk stripe/headstock plug in the neck. Next up is shaping the neck and fretting it. I tackled the neck first thinking it would probably be tougher than the body and I might as well get it over with at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Package View Post
    Very cool! I've played guitar for almost 25 years now and have never owned a tele. So I'm building one too. I just installed the truss rod and skunk stripe/headstock plug in the neck. Next up is shaping the neck and fretting it. I tackled the neck first thinking it would probably be tougher than the body and I might as well get it over with at the beginning.
    Hi Mike. That's the tough part alright. It'll help you with bridge location and alignment to have the finished neck at hand...good thinking on that one! I'm starting my neck this weekend. I'm not going the skunk stripe route though...at least I hadn't planned to. Hmmm.

Have any pics?

Peace,
    Mark

Yeah, that's a good point I hadn't thought about - the neck alignment. My thinking was that it would be a good idea to fashion the neck pocket template after my existing neck. So good, now I've got two reasons to be happy about that...

The body starts today, hopefully. But I've got a long ways to go - haven't even made the template yet.

The rest of the pics are here:

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/t.../tele%20build/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Package View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point I hadn't thought about - the neck alignment. My thinking was that it would be a good idea to fashion the neck pocket template after my existing neck. So good, now I've got two reasons to be happy about that...
    Hi Mike. This is looking good! Nice work! Did you use a vintage style, single action truss rod? If so, how did you curve the bottom on the channel?

The goodies for my neck are arriving tomorrow and I'll start work on it this weekend. I'm going with a separate fretboard so I'll have the 22nd fret and fretboard extension...my guitar won't have a pickguard and I want to conceal some of the body's truss rod access route at the base of the neck. Though I may run a 1-piece neck along with the 2-piece neck just for fun.

The body starts today, hopefully. But I've got a long ways to go - haven't even made the template yet.
    The body will be a breeze compared to the neck. Hope to see pics as it progresses. You should get a new thread going on your build so it doesn't get burried in this one...I'm sure others will want to follow along.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crenshaw View Post
    Hi Mike. This is looking good! Nice work! Did you use a vintage style, single action truss rod? If so, how did you curve the bottom on the channel?

The goodies for my neck are arriving tomorrow and I'll start work on it this weekend. I'm going with a separate fretboard so I'll have the 22nd fret and fretboard extension...my guitar won't have a pickguard and I want to conceal some of the body's truss rod access route at the base of the neck. Though I may run a 1-piece neck along with the 2-piece neck just for fun.

The body will be a breeze compared to the neck. Hope to see pics as it progresses. You should get a new thread going on your build so it doesn't get burried in this one...I'm sure others will want to follow along.

Peace,
    Mark
    Thanks, yes, I fashioned a vintage single-action truss out of 3/16" rod. The curved channel I routed with a jig. Imagine two curved rails that the router base rides on, and this rails sit over the neck. That's the gist of it. That was really the hardest part and I'm not quite happy with that jig yet. You could put a double-action rod like the Stew Mac Hot Rod into a one-piece neck in a flat channel from the back of the neck, but it would require a pretty big and deep channel. I played around with that idea and the resulting skunk stripe was so big...it just looked all wrong to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crenshaw View Post
    I have Strats, Les Pauls and a few others but I have always wanted a Tele. I played one many years ago but it was before I could appreciate their unique voice. Mark
    I think you'll like it. I too have a nice selection of musical tools. Of the Strat and Tele, the Tele was my favorite. I really liked the "back to basics" vibe. Regrettably, the Strat and Tele (plus a Les Paul) were recently stolen from my home during a break-in. My wife has suggested I make another Tele. I haven't made a guitar for 25 years, but the last one turned out nice so I may give it another shot.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.