Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Road trip, hoping for meet & greet

Summer Road trip, hoping for meet & greet

Mods feel free to move this thread if you need to, I posted here because I primarily wanted turners responses.

Loml, youngest son and I are planning a 2 week road trip this summer. First 2 weeks of August. Our itinerary not set in stone but if I was going to be driving through your town and time allows I would love to pop in and say HI. I may even bring a few chunks of walnut along if their is the possibility of a few wood swaps. Our tentative route is as follows:

Central MI thru Chicago to Mount Rushmore.
    Mount Rushmore to Cody, WY (home of my estranged sis last I knew, hope to find her)
    Cody to Yellowstone
    Yellowstone to Glacier Nat'l park
    Glacier thru Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon
    Grand Canyon to Carlsbad Caverns
    Carlsbad to New Orleans to Mobile AL
    Mobile back to Central MI.

If you have any suggestions of where to source native woods along the way and what species to look for please post or PM me. If you think it possible I will be driving by please PM me contact info. Thanks and turn safe.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

John,

You will be a little east of me but wave as you go past.

You will enjoy Glacier and Yellowstone if the crowds aren't too bad. Both have beautiful scenery!

That's a lot of miles in two weeks. Enjoy!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    John,

If you have any interest in firearms, the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY is a great place to visit........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

John:

You're not on my path, but enjoy! Sounds like a great trip. We were in Yellowstone last summer and had a great time. My older brother Mike works at the front desk of the Old Faithful Inn. That's about the best I can offer. Have a wonderful time.

You will be way north of me but sounds like a great trip. I agree with the Buffalo Bill Museum.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow, thats quite the Itinerary! I could spend 2 weeks at any one of those places. Sounds like you'll pass right through my area (pm coming). Most local wood here is pine/fir. There is a lot of quaking aspen, quite often wormey. Also there is some juniper, but it sounds as if there is an effort to make cutting it illegal. As for the BBC Museum in Cody, The firearms part is great, but there is so much more. 5 museums in all, all worth seeing. If you are into ghost towns, Nevada City MT, and Bannock Mt are great places. Enjoy your trip.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

John, I'm 267 miles NE of Carlsbad on US 62 East. Got plenty of wood to give you; Mulberry, Mesquite, Turkey-foot Pinion Pine, Russian Olive, Apricot, Peach, Walnut... should have some Bois d'Arc by then... I'm blessed with wood, if nothing else, take another day....
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

John;
    I am not far off the path between Carlsbad and New Orleans, that is too far for one day anyway.

John, I live in Carlsbad and would be glad for you to stop by. I have Mesquite, and some other woods.
    If you are into caving the Carlsbad Caverns has some great off trail trips, but you need to make reservations ahead of time. The trip to the "Hall of the Great White Giant" is awesome.
    There is also the Bat Flight.
    Also there is another cave in the Carlsbad National Park called "Slaughter Canyon Cave". In this cave you are guided by a park ranger and carry your own light.
    The Carlsbad Caverns National Park web site has more details.
    Let me know when you plan to be in Carlsbad and hopefully we can work something out.

John, I live about 50 miles east of Mobile Al and you would be more than welcome here anytime
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

John,
    I'm about 85 miles north of Mobile AL. in Mississippi, 14 miles east of highway 45 and 2 miles off highway 84 at the AL/MS state line. I too can have you some wood.
    Ya'll come on down.
    Bill Hunt

Lots of turners in and around Austin and San Antonio, Texas who would welcome a visit from persons from another country.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Lots of turners in and around Austin and San Antonio, Texas who would welcome a visit from persons from another country.
    LOL.....y'all havn't seceded from the union yet....but when you do may I be your first immigrant?
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Am sure we can always make room for another turner.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard, I might take you up on that offer too. Sounds like a great trip though John but you just aren't coming out west enough to make it into my neck of the woods. I hope you have an awesome trip though
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!