Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signing your work ...

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    When using archival pens, doesnt the ink splot on the bare wood as felt tips do on paper, both being absorbent substrates? Are those water based or alcohol based? Both would seem to spread out on un-sealed wood. A friend of mine seals and then uses either silver or gold fiber tipped pens, depending on the wood color.

Norm - I just grabbed one of my pens to take a look at what it claims.

I use the Millennium pens and they state the following:

Pigment Ink
    Acid-Free
    Archival Quality
    Waterproof
    Non-Bleeding

I am sure there are many different brands that have the same claims. I have had no problems with bleeding when writing on bare wood but I have not turned a large variety of different woods - usually maple, cherry and white birch - so your experience may vary.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What is an archival pen? Is is just a type of pen found in the pen department at Wallyworld?

I tried a sharpie on bare wood, and 3 days later, it bled out. I had to sand enough so it wouldn't look too bad.... So, that doesn't work.....

Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

WOW you are fast!

SIGH. Now I HAVE to stop at Target........

Thanks a lot!

Got this one at Joann fabrics. I put it on bare wood most of the time but I have used it after a coat or two of shellac and it did ok.
    Last edited by Jim Ciesla; 06-07-2009 at 2:19 PM.

I like to use a Universal X-660 CO2 laser. Works like a champ.

Haven't been at this a long time, but after attempting to use a cheaper woodburning pen, i moved to using letter and number stamps and then burning the imprint. i found the uniformity to be much better and the stamps were inexpensive at princess auto

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Steve - thanks for the reply. Non bleeding is what does it! Acid free is what makes it archival as acid yellows paper as it ages.
    Steven - can u elaborate please? Sounds like relatively a lot of work but interesting.
    Thx!

I went to Walmart and found the archival pen. It's in the craft section.
    Many thanks!

I also picked up 2 archival pens @ my local Walmart today, one was in the fabric section and the other was in the scrapbook area. Both say non bleeding.

I sure want to thank everyone for offering up their way of doing things!

Tim

Just got back from Walmart, picked one up also. Has anyone used a branding iron from Rockler??? Thanks

Hey Pat ... I had considered the branding iron but the cost was more than I wanted to spend. If I could afford it I would like the iron that is made off your own signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O'malley View Post
    Just got back from Walmart, picked one up also. Has anyone used a branding iron from Rockler??? Thanks
    I've got one of those that I use on furniture. They work well once you get the hang of judging the temperature right. They are way too large for almost anything I have ever turned or would think of turning in the future.

A good woodburning pen is the best thing I have found for signing turnings. It doesn't help much for dark woods though. I need to pick up a couple of those archival pens in light colors to try on the dark exotics.

I ordered this custom electric branding iron at a woodworking show. Works very well and is less than 2" wide. Works hand held or in the drill press. Cost is a bit high at around $325, but it is very heavy duty brass and steel and it never needs sharpened .

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images