Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curly claro walnut turkey call

curly claro walnut turkey call

I make custom turkey calls, and here's one I just finished that I'm proud of. It is from a chunk of curly claro walnut that I bought green a couple months ago and DNA soaked (my first DNA attempt was a batch of claro call blanks and it worked great). I wish I had a thousand pieces of claro walnut, because I think I could sell every last one...I currently have a waiting list for claro walnut calls.

The call was sanded to 2000 grit and finished with two coats of waterlox. The 2nd coat was buffed out with 0000 steel wool after drying to knock down the gloss and give the hand-rubbed oil look like a nice gun stock. I then rubbed on a coat of paste wax.

It is a slate call with a glass soundboard. For those that don't know, you're looking at the bottom of the call. The striker is held sort of like a pencil and rubbed on the slate top surface to make turkey sounds. A non-hunter friend of mine was in the shop the other night and was blowing as hard as he could into the holes thinking that's how to use it. I of course let him try that for a minute before letting him off the hook.

This one's not getting sold. It is getting entered into a big callmaking competition as a "working" (non-decorative) call. It sounds awesome and they do judge them on craftsmanship as well, so I hope it does well.

Critiques welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man oh man Aaron. that sure is a good looking call. and better looking wood! nice stuff there
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Very nice work and superb wood. Good luck in the competition.

4. Talking glad I'm not a turkey

It's so pretty even a turkey couldn't resist comin' in for a look

Nice piece of wood...

Very nice looking call and some really pretty wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    A non-hunter friend of mine was in the shop the other night and was blowing as hard as he could into the holes thinking that's how to use it. I of course let him try that for a minute before letting him off the hook.
    Now that's funny!

Beautiful call and amazing wood! I can see why you have a waiting list for these!

Best of luck in the competition!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful call! Those things are hard to blow.

Good luck in the competition. It is a winner in my book.
    All the best.

Don

Thanks everybody. The competition submission deadline is in about a week but the results won't be out until around October. The competition is through a turkey hunting magazine. That's a long time to wait! Not planning on winning, but I hope it fares well regardless.

Very nice job Aaron! I haven't done a turkey call but it is on my short list. I have a couple of hunter friends who are after to me to make one. Looks like a great project and yours is simply beautiful. Where do you purchase your slate and glass inserts?

John

The wood is simply stunning!

I wish you luck in the competition.

That is beautiful wood. Let us know how you do in the competition.

Excellent job, love the wood!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Great piece, all the best in the competition. Any time you want to do a tutorial I for one would be one of the first to read it. Extremely nice work.

SWEET

Jerry