Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Air Compressor called the quits

Shop Air Compressor called the quits

My 3hp compressor called the quits yesterday. I have a little hot dog compressor, but I want to replace the larger unit for tools needing a higher air demand.

Any thoughts on the compressors shown below? They appear to be identical 3HP single stage units. They are easily attainable from Lowes or Home Depot, and will run on my existing 20A/230V circuit.

Any experience appreciated. Or perhaps recommendations of something better that runs on a 20A/230V circuit?

-Jeff

Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

2. Not much to an air compressor to go wrong. Most likely the start capacitor on the motor went out. Easy and cheap fix. Worst case is you buy another 3HP motor. Seems like a waste to replace the tank and pump if they are in good condition still.

Rob

Rob is correct in what he states. If you can fix the on eyou have unless it is really old and the compressor unit itself is showing signs of wear. If you decide to fix it and keep it I would make the following suggestions. 1)Change the oil to synthetic and 2)add a piggyback tank for added volumn and storage which will help if you are using air tools.
    Lastly if you want to replace and get a larger unit I would spend a few extra hundred dollars and get a DeVilbliss or a Quincy. Check with you local industrial supply houses and see if they have any scratch/dent specials. Not knowing your age but if you are less than 65yrs and want a "last buy" unit look for cast iron compressor pumps.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

AFAIK both the compressors in the original post are the same. I went thru the same choice when buying mine. I ended up with the HD just because I liked red better and I had a 10% off coupon. Cast iron is nice, back when I bought it it was still made in the US.

Im sure there are a lot better compressors out there, but for the price I think the 2 listed here are hard to beat. They arent 2 stage monsters, but from my experience they work just fine. Just yesterday I painted almost 300' of molding with an HVLP gun hooked up to the Husky compressor. I never once lacked for air.....the pump cycled a bunch of times, but everything was able to keep up.

-Chris

The old (cheap) aluminum compressor head is shot. It was getting screamin' hot just after running a few minutes. It finally got too tight and cooked the second motor. It's a goner.

-Jeff

It seems they're all the same?

Chris...It seems like they are pretty much all the same...at least in specifications. The reviews offered by Amazon and others indicate they are OK.

Sears also sells a unit that looks identical to the Husky/CH/Maxus and it received an overwhelming amount of horrible reviews (blown head gaskets, burn-out, etc.). It makes me wonder. Maybe they are not all the same...at least internally?

-Jeff

I researched the Lowes vs HD model when I was looking. The Lowes model crossed back to Campbell model 6813, and the HD crossed back to 6814. They were in fact the same thing (per Campbell Hausfeld specs, parts, etc).

The others you show from Grizzly do look different. And I *almost* bought the PC model because of the extra SCFM. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy the PC (at the time I could only find someplace online which charged a ton of shipping cost).

Not sure if anyting has changed but my Husky has an Emerson motor and is pretty quiet. If they spec the same parts now as they did back then, and you wanted oen "in hand" instead of shipped, I wouldnt hesitate for the HD or Lowes models. The biggest thing is to go with an oil-lubed cast iron model if you can. Compressors are relatively simple and should last a loooong time with correct maintenance.

I have had the CH for at least 5 years and have not had any problems. Just remember to keep the tank drained and you should have no worries.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Too bad yer' so far away .. .. I have an extra Quincy pump that would be perfect for your application.

Shop Air Compressor

Jeff,
    If your gonna use that compressor for Air Tools and the HVLP gun I would buy The IR that is in the above post.Go with the cast iron cylinder,switch to Synthetic oil which will double the warranty.I work at IR here in North Carolina and while we only build 50 horse power and up at this location they are great units.I have the next model above it and it's quieter,makes a ton of air and will most likely outlive me.Look around,there are deals to be had.
    Greg

I researched the Huskey & Kobalt but in the end I bought the IR from Tractor supply for 599 two weeks ago and love it. It is rated for 100% duty cycle, I do not think the other two are. This is my first big compressor and I do not know but I it seems to take longer than I thought it would to hit the cut-out pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Jeff,
    If your gonna use that compressor for Air Tools and the HVLP gun I would buy The IR that is in the above post.Go with the cast iron cylinder,switch to Synthetic oil which will double the warranty.I work at IR here in North Carolina and while we only build 50 horse power and up at this location they are great units.I have the next model above it and it's quieter,makes a ton of air and will most likely outlive me.Look around,there are deals to be had.
    Greg

Hi Greg,

I have the IR model SS3L3, and I believe you have the SS5L5? Could you tell me how long yours takes to go from cut-in to cut-out with no load on it after it cuts in? Or maybe someone there at IR has a rough time estimate that my model should take to do this.

thanks,

James

Shop Air Compressor

James,
    if I remember right that is a 135 psi unit like mine.I will check in work and see if that info is available.If I have to I will call Campbellsville and find out what it should be.Do you have any aux. storage tanks or long runs of tubing,they all will contribute to the charge cycle.
    Greg

shop air compressor called it quits

Why not just buy a replacement compressor pump? It would be a lot cheaper than buying the entire unit. If you can, get a good quality pump to fit your tank, try and get a cast iron unit. It will outlast you if you keep oil in the crankcase. I have an old, old probably 50 or 60 year old cast iron Ingersol Rand horizontal compressor that still runs and pumps air like a champ! I had to replace the motor 3 or 4 years ago, but not a big deal.
    Another good point to my old unit is I can be standing right against mine and carry on a conversation with someone and it doesn't make enough noise to barely be heard! Another good point to a cast iron unit is, it can
    be rebuild like a small car motor, cylinders can be honed and new pistons and rings, etc. installed and then put back into service.

Update on offerings...

My broken compressor was a Sears unit. I know the compressor head (made from aluminum) is shot. I probably burned out the second motor too. It just ain't worth the time and cost to fool with it any further.

Given the array of new air compressors available, their relatively low cost, and the improved performance (capacity and noise), rebuilding does not seem economical to me. Beside, after I invest in a new head and new motor, I still have a tank that may have an internal corrosion thing going on that I don't see.

Here's a updated list of all the offerings in the 3HP, 60 gallon, single stage, cast iron units...

-Jeff