Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 3M dust protection?

Which 3M dust protection?

Ok I was looking at the 3M Airstream since that is what I see most people with, however I was trying to get a hold of a plug so I wouldn't have to spend $150 on there battery charger and called 3m. When speaking with the tech he sugested I go with the 6800pf power flow.
    http://www.professionalequipment.com...pirator-masks/

he said it was more efficant and that is what most wood workers use and cheaper. I know they also have a unit where the blower is on the belt.

Since I can't go try these on what units do most turners use and why? What should I buy?
    -=Jason=-

Holy Moly, I can tell you that I wouldnt spend that kinda money on breathing protection. I use safey goggles (sometimes) and only during sanding I have my shop dust collector wheeled right up to the lathe and the hose bungie corded to the ways. It captures, probally 90% of all the fine particles and for the rest I use the disposable paper masks.

If I thought that I was in an environment where that $600+ mask would be needed.... I dont think I would want to be doing it.... but thats just me.

Jason,

I find a half face 3M respirator works fine for me and use that when sanding or using chemicals (it's particulate and chemical both). I like it, have used it for years, change out the cartridges, can't even recall what I paid for it, maybe $45 or so.

Best to you finding what suits your needs,

Jude

I have the 6800 but without the blower. Mine was about $85. I have a boat load of the 7000 cartridges so this was an easy buy for me. The mask is rated by OSHA and NIOSH. I find it easy to see and breath. Since I can use any cartridge I want, I can also put on vapor carts when spraying or in the event of some ecological disaster I can put on virtually any cartridge made for any situation.

Don't want no stinkin' batteries.

I would imagine spending that kind of money would depend on what income your turning generates. If you turn a LOT and make money that justifies that, then it would be a worthy investment. Health should not be a compromise. Or, if money is no object, health wins all the time.
    For me, a hobby turner, I also use the half face respirator. I cannot justify spending any more than 50 bucks. If you do decide to go non forced flow, get the organic filters, they trap the smaller particles. If you can smell what you're turning, it's not an organic. It's kind of a bummer when turning the aromatic woods, but then, fungi are a drag too.

My .02. YMMV.

Not going to bother with the powered respirator / face shield gizmos... I have been using the N95 disposables / face shield rig. I started out with a 3M 6200 / cartridge / safety glasses setup years ago, but got a bunch plumper over the years with too much home brewed beer and good food... So I am now using the large size 3M 7200 series with cartridges / safety glasses. (The over the prescription glasses sort from Lowes). I am quite happy with the setup. I have talked with several industrial safety and health engineers and gotten their recommendations on this setup. I am pretty sure I am okay here...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I would imagine spending that kind of money would depend on what income your turning generates. If you turn a LOT and make money that justifies that, then it would be a worthy investment. Health should not be a compromise. Or, if money is no object, health wins all the time.
    I disagree. If every woodturner has to justify every tool purchase like a business should be. I dare say more than half won't pass the CPA test. I think if we add the shop supplies, reasonable cost of shop, automobile usage, minimum wage to ourselves; half of the expensive lathe owners should down grade to Harbor Freight lathes and sell at least half of their toys collection to balance the books.
    I belong to two very active groups. Most of the members are retired or close to retirement. A lot of the members whose houses have been paid for, kids are grown up. They have earned their rights to spend their grand kids inheritance. This hobby is their live style.
    For younger person, they have to balance between the family saving, kids education. The consideration is different.
    Sorry for taking a detour on this discussion.

For that kind of money, the Airstream may not be that bad with the additional protection of the hard hat.

You may also want to look at the auction site for the charger. After the Y2K scare, I saw a lot of the 3M respirators dumped on the auction site.
    I don't know whether this is the same unit, but the price is a lot better:
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...r-3m-papr.html
    Gordon

Well I am 36 just had a kid so I guess I should save. My lungs are shot thought after remodeling 2 homes and woodwork so I am limited how much I can do. and every time I go work even thought I ware a mask I still wiind up blowing out wood dust ot if my nose. Never thought much of it. I figured with a power reperrator it would be better. I have gone through almost every non power one and the AO safety one I like the best but gets sweaty and wet and kind of uncomfortable, smelly + I can't fit it under a face shied. Maybe I am going the wrong direction, not sure now.
    -=Jason=-

Your lungs are worth a lot of money

Jason,

Back when I started working in a furniture mill, the only people wearing more than a simple disposable dust mask were those working in the spray booths. I'd come home after a day of work and I'd be spitting up wood-enriched phlegm for hours. Back then, we didn't think a little wood dust would do any harm -- it was natural, after all. Now we know better. (I don't think I was harmed, because I quit the mill after a relatively short time so I could finish my schooling.) With today's knowledge about the harmful effects of wood dust, I think a powered air respirator is something most, if not all, hobbyists should strive to acquire and use.

That doesn't mean everyone needs a top-of-the-line 3M Airstream. The Trend Airshield Pro or the (now out of production?) Triton Respirator should be more than adequate for most hobbyists. My concern about the Trend product is it uses non-standard filters and that I don't find it's balance to be comfortable for long wear. (The Triton uses standard canister filters available in many hardware and large box stores. In addition, it's belt power pack keeps much of the weight off the head.) My concern with the Triton is that it uses NiCad batteries and it does not come with a smart charger. (NiCad's slowly lose their charge once they are removed from the charger -- even if the device is not used. Worse, unless a smart charger is used, the batteries will overheat and be ruined if they are left on the charger too long. So, a hobbyest who only uses the resperator once or twice a month may find it hard to keep the Triton's batteries ready for use whenever he wants to work in the shop.) Despite these short comings, both products are better than a disposable dust mask!

While I prefer a powered respirator, a twin cartridge respirator (with a rubber mask that fits over the nose and mouth) or the resp-o-rator will also serve. My concern about making the twin cartridge respirator the primary mask in your arsenal is that it's rubber mask can make it far less comfortable than a powered respirator. My fear is that, human nature being what it is, too often we'll solve for immediate comfort rather than long-term health and leave the respirator work bench. (I have a twin cartridge respirator as the back up to my Triton, for when the batteries need to be charged. Too often, I allow myself to get by with the dust collector and large fan.)

HTH

Hey Jason,
    As a practicing Respiratory Therapist, trust me when I tell you, I can and have ranted like a mule about dust protection. I see people everyday that wish they had. The effects are cumulative and un-escapable.
    To that end I use a Trend for bigger projects; bowls and peppermills or a OSHA\MSA duel filter respirator for smaller stuff.

Cheers!

Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I guess I'll chime in here. I've worn respirators for over 25 years. I'm in the environmental cleanup biz so it's just part of our tools of the trade. A regular twin cartridge respirator, I wouldn't dream of putting one on at home. Anyone that enjoys wearing one, well, there's something wrong with you. They are uncomfortable. Move around too much and the seal around the face can come loose and then the vision part will fog up from your own breathing. Spend the money and go with at least the Trend. I just decided over the weekend to spring for the Airstream, it's worth it to me. Respirators are fine but they take the enjoyment out of turning and so you will end up not using it. Put a face shield over the respirator and see how distorted everything begins to look. With the trend or airstream you get the added benefit of the hardhat and face shield. The little "dust mask" you pick up at lowes isn't going to give you any benefit. But hey, it's your money and your lungs. By the time you realize you have to have one it's usually to late.

Gordon. So, everyone who turns should use a forced fed respirator? I think not. I turn infrequently and my lathe costs WAY less than 600 bucks. I only own a Mini. A half face respirator captures most (99.9%) of the dust. Organic fliters should get rid of most fungi and aromatics. Yeah they not comfortable. Yeah, not all the dust. But I'm not talking those POS paper masks. I do think they are worthless. May as well use a rag. You can also go to the extremes and say you should use a forced fed respirator to vacuum your house. The same hazzards exist from your floor. Kicked up by the vacuum cleaner. Even a HEPA V/C is only 99.98%. The rest is in the air.

All I'm saying is 610 bucks is a lot to spnd for me, who turns once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Gordon. So, everyone who turns should use a forced fed respirator? ...

All I'm saying is 610 bucks is a lot to spnd for me, who turns once a week.
    Gordon can speak for himself, but I think it's only fair to point out that I didn't read Gordon's comment to mean that everyone needs to buy a powered respirator. I thought he was just saying that many turners don't need to justify the cost of a respirator (or any other tool) on the basis of whether or not we can sell enough turnings to "justify the cost". For many of us, this is a hobby that provides a "return" in terms of satisfaction rather than dollars and cents. For those of us who have a budget that can afford it, a powered respirator is might nice to have.

Now, you might fairly read what I wrote to mean that every turner should have a powered respirator. That's not what I intended. I realize a powered respirator is a lot of money. So is a lung transplant. A dual cartridge respirator -- like the one you can buy at the local hardware store for less than $50 -- is adequate protection. My concern with them is the rubber half-mask is uncomfortable to wear and many of us will find it too easy to rationalize not wearing it. (Besides, the ONLY piece of turning equipment my beautiful bride hasn't questioned my purchasing was the Triton Respirator. She's the one that kept pestering me to get something better than the dust-b-gone that I was using because the dual cartridge respirator was uncomfortable. So, many of our spouses might actually make sure we have the budget to buy the powered respirator if they knew the health risks of going without adequate protection.)

YMMV.

14. Jason,

I used to use a half mask AO Safety device with the twin cartridges and it worked pretty well. However, it was so hot and sweaty that I ended up not using it much at all. I thought as long as I was only sanding for a couple minutes it wouldnt make a difference. Inevitably I would spend the next couple of hours blowing wood dust out of my nose. I also noticed that I was tending to get what felt like sinus infections every couple of months.

A couple months ago I picked up a Trend Airshield Pro and it I have not had the issue since. It feels great while wearing it and I would say that it even makes you feel cooler, which is important to me since I turn in my garage.

I will echo what Jim and Brian have said. Yes, these respirators are a lot of money, but it is a tiny price to pay to save your lungs. We all should get used to the idea of spending less on the lathe and tools if necessary to come up with the funds for good breathing protection. Don't underestimate the cumulative damage you get from even occasional exposure. Buy and use the best protection you can afford. Get something that is comfortable enough that you will actually use it. I recently started using the Trend Pro, and it makes an enormous difference in the amount of dust I breathe. I may still upgrade someday to the 3M or something similar, for the better filtering of the really fine stuff (which does the most harm).