Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a name for my business.

Bill Keehn Precision Sawdust Company...

I don't know. It has a great ring to it.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

That's my automatic response when people ask what I make.... "Sawdust.. and some other stuff".

Definitely not a shaprening service, Bill. We have a Woodmizer and are starting work on a kiln. And shaprening would mean working with metal . I don't think it was mentioned but a possibility could be Keehn's Edge Woodworks, and I do like The Keehn Edge Woodworks.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    Definitely not a shaprening service, Bill. We have a Woodmizer and are starting work on a kiln. And shaprening would mean working with metal . I don't think it was mentioned but a possibility could be Keehn's Edge Woodworks, and I do like The Keehn Edge Woodworks.
    Cooool. I've been daydreaming about an LT50 and my own kiln someday. I'll paint the sawmill green and call my business Keehn's Green Machine. Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    And shaprening would mean working with metal .
    Wait a second. Of course you are working with metal. How else you gonna cut wood.. teeth?

Imagine this nightmare. You open your business with your chosen name. Then competitors start the following businesses:

Wood-Keene Edge Works LLC
    Wood Edge Keen-Works INC
    Work Wood Keen Edge
    Woodwork Edge Keen
    and
    Work Edge Wood Keen

Two rules that I set when choosing a name. I didn't want my name in it. If I ever sell off the shop, I don't want my name attached to it forever. Your selling blue sky, not your identity. Although yours does have some whit to it.

Never include custom in a name, its like saying soft pudding. Its just assumed when working out a phone booth sized space. Its pretty obvious you aren't mass producing box cabinets and shipping them across North America.

Most won't be able to pronounce my companies name. Sogn Cabinet Co.
    I live in an area known as Sogn Valley, my shop is currently located on Sogn Valley Trail. Pronounced sew-gan. Sogn, as in "so" what.

I have to ask, what in the name of all that is holy do you think you are doing starting a shop when the trades are so far in the crapper?

The first one works for me!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Keen edge woodworks is better for remembering, emails and web searches as that's how it's spelt - it's intuitive. Also much much easier for people to pass on the name and email address when it's easy to remember. I find oddly spelt or pronounced names to be a hinderance when it comes to trying to remember businesses I want to continue using in the future and often end up going with someone else when it's hard to find them relatively quickly.
    Last edited by Mat Ashton; 06-09-2009 at 1:31 AM.
    It's all fun and games till someone loses a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Most won't be able to pronounce my companies name. Sogn Cabinet Co.
    I live in an area known as Sogn Valley, my shop is currently located on Sogn Valley Trail. Pronounced sew-gan. Sogn, as in "so" what.

?
    And I will add that most people are basically illiterate, so don't use a word that a second grader can not understand. The name of my company is "Crooked Tree Joinery"

I assumed most people knew what "Joinery" means. I assumed incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keehn View Post
    Keehn Edge Design
    Custom Wood Furniture
    Hand Crafted Tools
    We Also Walk Dogs

A little bit of whimsy in your name is a good thing, I think. There was a candy maker in my hometown that proudly proclaims "We make the world's best candy, since 2000 & 1/2."

Every year, it becomes a little less funny and a little more respectable.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Keehn Kustom

Bill,

It seems you've made up your mind but I would like to give you a little different view of using Keehn (I vote for number 1 by the way). Others have opined that this might be confusing, or difficult to remember, or misspelled in a search query. I think on a sign it will catch the eye because the viewer will pick up on the additional letter in what the are reading as "Keen" and will do a double take. It also implies, to me, that you have a sense of humor, and that you are intelligent, two traits I look for when I am doing business with someone. That said, I'm not in the market for custom furniture right now so it doesn't really matter what I think.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thanks Belinda.

Yeah, I've pretty much decided. My wife likes "Keehn Edge Woodworks" too. I can tell she's excited, since she has been talking about getting some shirts made .

I've got to move fairly quickly on the incorporation, since I'm about to sign a lease after the building permit for the buildout plan is finalized, which should happen by the end of next week. It's poor form to sign as the president of a company that doesn't exist yet

make it something that people will remember. i went with PERCH ON THIS for my pet bird products[ perches, swings , ladders etc...].