Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a name for my business.

Help me choose a name for my business.

This might be a little off topic, but there isn't a forum for woodworking business discussions.

I need to decide on a name for my business. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Keehn Edge Woodworks OR Keen Edge Woodworks

The first choice has appeal to me because it has my name and gives people a clue to pronunciation. The second choice might be better if I choose to sell the business someday and the next owner doesn't want such personalized name.

Opinions? First choice, second choice, or none of the above?

First choice. Hands down. Companies with names associated with it make people feel warm and fuzzy. Makes people feel as if the owner puts his stamp of approval on everything he does.

JMHO...

Thats a good point.

One of my facebook friends pointed out that "Keen Edge" might teach them how to say my name correctly, but it might also teach them to spell it wrong.

Keehn

I agree with Chris. Your name personalizes the company. A future buyer can drop the h and still have the name that people remember (and associate good products with ) just by changing some signs and letterhead.

Um, Keehn Edge makes me think of a sharpening business..... Why "edge" and not just Keehn Woods, Woodworking or Woodworks?

Just my opinion, and you asked..... Oh, most definetely not Keen, if that's your main question.......

The first choice, no doubt. Keen Edge is just.....keen edge. Keehn draws the eye and most people would draw an inference with that and your name.

Regards,
    Richard
    Cutting Edge Wood Works

And by the way, I've never completely decided if it should be Wood Works or Woodworks
    And now for something completely different....

I think I'd do:

Bill Keehn Edge Woodxxxxxxxxxxx get your whole name in there...best for recognition I think and it kinda flows, too....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Um, Keehn Edge makes me think of a sharpening business..... Why "edge" and not just Keehn Woods, Woodworking or Woodworks?

Just my opinion, and you asked..... Oh, most definetely not Keen, if that's your main question.......
    Good question. I wondered if people might get that impression too. I'm not a sharpening business.

While I intend to primarily do custom woodworking, I've been wanting to make and sell some woodworking tools as well, infill planes for example. "Keehn Edge Toolworks" sounds ok, but it loses the idea that this is about woodworking.

Would you be more likely to buy a plane from a place called "Keehn Edge Woodworks" or "Keehn Woodworks"? I could go with "Keehn Edge Tool and Woodworks" or some permutation, but it seems a little cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    The first choice, no doubt. Keen Edge is just.....keen edge. Keehn draws the eye and most people would draw an inference with that and your name.

Regards,
    Richard
    Cutting Edge Wood Works

And by the way, I've never completely decided if it should be Wood Works or Woodworks
    Nice name. And I take it you are NOT a sharpening business?

Ah, that will work then..... Sell planes..... Made by a pro..... By hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I think I'd do:

Bill Keehn Edge Woodxxxxxxxxxxx get your whole name in there...best for recognition I think and it kinda flows, too....
    Ummm.. sure..

Blog Entries
    How about Keehn Custom Woodworking, it says what you do and what you want to do, plain and simple. Do I win the prize??? I could use a custom shop cabinet..
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you go with "Keehn Woodworking" and you incorporate, you can save time and money by not having to do a name search.

Lee, that was the name I started with, but there are just so many "<your name here> Custom Woodworking" shops around here. I wanted to be a little catchier.

Funny thing though. When I was looking for shop space, everybody I talked to assumed I was a cabinet shop or doing millwork. When I tell them it's custom furniture, they actually seem a little interested.

Just a thought, I'm opening a service business soon and will incorporate as an LLC. I have read several articles stating not to use your name in the business' name because if you are sued your personal assets can be attached because you are also considered the business and not only the products you provide. Good luck. Pat