Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a name for my business.

I think your name is the same as the guy for the Family Circus, right? Or, at least is pronounced the same way!!

Bil Keane!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O'malley View Post
    Just a thought, I'm opening a service business soon and will incorporate as an LLC. I have read several articles stating not to use your name in the business' name because if you are sued your personal assets can be attached because you are also considered the business and not only the products you provide. Good luck. Pat
    So what is the name of your biznitch, Pat?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    And by the way, I've never completely decided if it should be Wood Works or Woodworks
    Here is my take on it, FWIW.

Woodworkers do woodworking to produce woodworks in a woodshop. I think "wood works" implies a woodshop, whereas "woodworks" implies "wooden works".

I’ve got one which is PMR Properties, we flip houses part time and the new venture will be name "Peace Of Mind ..." which I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet on what type of service, there currently no one else doing this in my area yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O'malley View Post
    Just a thought, I'm opening a service business soon and will incorporate as an LLC. I have read several articles stating not to use your name in the business' name because if you are sued your personal assets can be attached because you are also considered the business and not only the products you provide. Good luck. Pat
    Your personel chattel is out of bounds if you are a LLC or S corp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I think your name is the same as the guy for the Family Circus, right? Or, at least is pronounced the same way!!

Bil Keane!
    Yup yup. Well, at least I think so. Unless he pronounces "Bil" as "Beel". That's how a lot of southerners say my name. Some even draw it out a little more... "Beeeel" (imagine droopy dog saying it).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post
    Your personel chattel is out of bounds if you are a LLC or S corp.
    Assuming you actually conduct business like a seperate legal entity, and are properly capitalized, and don't co-mingle your funds. You also want to make sure that when you sign documents that you are signing them as an officer of the LLC and not as you yourself.

A correct signature block on a contract should look like this...

Pat O'mally, LLC. <--- Make sure this is precisely the way your articles of incorporation document it.

Hi Bill,

Maybe you need a tag line as well as a name.

The Keehn Edge
    Custom Woodworks and Handcrafted Tools
    RD

How about "Half-Day Bill's (Wood Putty'll Hide That) Furniture Shoppe?"

No, that's what it'd be called if I opened a shop.

I think you need to have "furniture" in there somewhere if that's what you're going to specialize in.

Unfortunately Keehn Edge Furniture sounds painful.

Keehn Edge Design
    Custom Wood Furniture

Better?
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Hi Bill:

Free advise is worth what you pay for it.

It seems to me that your primary customer will be a customer furniture buyer. They're are interested in design and finish. Whether you edge is Kheen, Keehn or Keen is not their focus.

Thus I would suggest you use Bill Keehn Custom Furniture or some variation as your primary business name. Perhaps a tag line could be "specializing in 19th century Philadelphia style Highboy's, or Bookcases, or Cabinets, or what ever you want to focus on.

Then, another division of BKCF, might Bill Keehn Custom Tools....specializing in planes, spoke shaves, and fine custom knives, or whatever you do will.

Two different customers, two different names.

Best regards,

Tom, now in Georgia
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Hi Bill,

Maybe you need a tag line as well as a name.

The Keehn Edge
    Custom Woodworks and Handcrafted Tools
    Has a ring like the Porter-Cable commercials. I'll probably have a tag-line on my signs and cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    How about "Half-Day Bill's (Wood Putty'll Hide That) Furniture Shoppe?"

No, that's what it'd be called if I opened a shop.

I think you need to have "furniture" in there somewhere if that's what you're going to specialize in.

Unfortunately Keehn Edge Furniture sounds painful.

Keehn Edge Design
    Custom Wood Furniture

Better?
    Keehn Edge Design
    Custom Wood Furniture
    Hand Crafted Tools
    We Also Walk Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    Hi Bill:

Free advise is worth what you pay for it.

It seems to me that your primary customer will be a customer furniture buyer. They're are interested in design and finish. Whether you edge is Kheen, Keehn or Keen is not their focus.

Thus I would suggest you use Bill Keehn Custom Furniture or some variation as your primary business name. Perhaps a tag line could be "specializing in 19th century Philadelphia style Highboy's, or Bookcases, or Cabinets, or what ever you want to focus on.

Then, another division of BKCF, might Bill Keehn Custom Tools....specializing in planes, spoke shaves, and fine custom knives, or whatever you do will.

Two different customers, two different names.

Best regards,

Tom, now in Georgia
    I see what you are saying. Actually, when I get down to marketing I'll probably use a Doing Business As name to distinguish one activity from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keehn View Post
    Keehn Edge Design
    Custom Wood Furniture
    Hand Crafted Tools
    We Also Walk Dogs

Now, that looks like a winner.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Da first one, for sure...taking advantage of your unique name and the play on words is very nice. I'm not sure about what Pat mentions...speak with a a business attorney to clarify.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Da first one, for sure...taking advantage of your unique name and the play on words is very nice. I'm not sure about what Pat mentions...speak with a a business attorney to clarify.
    Thanks Jim. Using my name seems to be universally agreed upon between here and my facebook friends.

Quite a few people liked the play on my name, so I'll keep the "Edge" in "Keehn Edge Woodworks, Inc." It's short and hopefully easy to remember.

Thanks for your input everybody. It was kinda fun and it helped. I'll post pictures of my new shop when I take possession.
    Last edited by Bill Keehn; 06-08-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling