Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Leather Ideas

Any idea how to glue leather to metal? I'm not even sure how to glue leather to leather!

Oh, and this leather is just too thick to cut.....the char was really bad when I did get through. But I think if I score it, then it will make it easy to cut out with scissors (I tried it and it wasn't very hard at all......unless I'm trying to cut out 1,000 of them........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Gluing stuff to metal can be a real problem. I think 2 part epoxy should work. Get the clear stuff, its got a little flex to it when dry, which helps it hold if the metal part takes a shock or expands/contracts due to temp. You can also try hot glue, I'm not a fan of that stuff though.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Thanks for the tip Dave.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Tandy Leather sells blank belt buckles. I cut and engraved a bunch of those. I attached the leather to the steel buckle with Silicone RTV. I think that stuff holds forever.
    BobT

Leather Ideas

How about Dog Collars? We have been thinking about that recently and have been searching for good sources for leather (at the right price) in the Dallas area. We have been doing personalized wrist bands and "Class of '09" bands for my daughter's school and that has worked out very well. (we used precut bands from Hobby Lobby website store for these). Also have done luggage tags and key fobs with decent success.
    Universal ULS-25E, Corel Draw X4, AutoCad LT, BabyLock Pro Embroidery, Garage full of 35 years of "experience"

Wink

Steve - It isn't Uncle George is it? I bought some from him a few weeks back and have been experimenting with it. One word of caution - IT MOVES A HUGE AMOUNT. I've tried taping it down on all sides and it pulls out from under the tape. I'd bet it moves 20% and wrinkles. I've just visited Michaels (wally world doesn't sell them anymore) to pick up some of those emboidery hoops - going to give that a whirl and see if it works. Otherwise, better be strong glue to hold that steer down when you try to brand 'em. AND I AGREE on the smell - and in upstate NY - we don't de-horn anybody!

Whenever I've had the need to glue leather--usually to wood, I used contact cement. After several years it's holding very well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cunningham View Post
    How about Dog Collars? We have been thinking about that recently and have been searching for good sources for leather (at the right price) in the Dallas area.
    Dog collars are very hit and miss. I've been talking with a leather crafter for years and his daughter convinced him to do the dog show circuit. He sells more Show Leads and Slip Collars then anything else. Those are so thin they are not worth the time to engrave.... and very few people would pay to have it engraved. He showed me several nice collars he made and personalized with some very nice designs, yet they have remained unsold for years. People look at them, but they don't buy them.

There are some people who make some unique handmade leather collars, but these people basically eat, breathe and live for their dogs. They go to all sorts of sporting, rescue & dog events multiple times a week and have become known in those dog communities because they have been involved in them for so many years. (I don't think they make their living solely on those collars either.)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

There are a lot of 'kids' wearing dog collars now it seems (Goth)
    Contact cement is what Tandy recommends, just coat both pieces, and let it dry until the 'back' of your finger does not stick (the front has oils that will ruin the bond) then press them together ..hard.. they adhere on 'contact' (hence the name) and they will never come apart.. Another thing I have sold quite a few of are custom wrist bands with a memorial photos on them. This might be a Asian thing, because it's only Asians I have had orders from.. Also, I ALWAYS tell the customer that brings me a leather object that I have no idea, what colour the engraving will be, particularly if it's black leather (dyed) Dark brown usually stays dark brown, light brown is the best, and on black, I've had it turn everything from gray to bright white (the bright white was a surprize) I usually tell them colour is all based on the genetics of the cow, and what it had for breakfast on the worst day of it's life
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Fireplace bellows
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I usually tell them colour is all based on the genetics of the cow, and what it had for breakfast on the worst day of it's life
    LOL! Search that quote and you'll come up with atleast 16 hits! I should know, I read them all!!!!!

I have done quite a few leather pieces recently. I too had a tone of mevement form the piece. I countered the movement by "taping" it down mith magnets. The same magnets that I use for name badges are what I use to make the leather stick to my raster plate in the laser. I have never cut leather though.
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

How about playing card coasters. Aces and kings for the drinks and a giant royal flush for the pitcher.

Randy

Steve,

Dee beat me to the mouse pad suggestion. This is a very good "give away" to prospective customers as well, particularly if you're getting the leather for free. People love personalized mouse pads.

I'm with the others on contact cement.

You expressed concern over visibility of the burn. Don't forget that you can color fill on leather also. I did a photo album for a friend and filled the engraving with gold Rub "n Buff.

Back to Dee's idea about fold over bookmarks with magnets - how about money clips?

If you're handy with a needle you could make some really nice tote bags with a simple whip stitched edge holding the two sides together, and decorative whip stitch on the edges of the straps.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Tried a new leather idea today....

For those of you that have sublimation capabilities....

We coated the left side of the leather twice, right side once.

Left, Dwell time was 60 seconds, Right was 40 sec. Both at 390 degrees.

I am going to run these through the rigors and see how well my logo holds up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil
    Red Earth D'Signs

Corel 13, Photoshop CS2, Photograv
    Universal Laser v 460 55w
    Epson 4800 Sub-Lim
    Dyna CNC Plasma/Router Table
    Summa Plotters
    2 Crazy CBR pups that rule the shop!