Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screwing on a solid wood top

Screwing on a solid wood top

Hello all,
    I have finished assembly of one of my nightstands. The top is hard maple and have built according to these plans here: http://www.woodstore.net/nightstand1.html
    One of the tops is bowed a little, like a smiley face. When screwing the top, I have 4 screws total that screw through the plywood into the solid wood top. The back screw holes are slots according to the plans. I use washers and 1-1/4" screws. I am not sure if I can really screw the top down tight. Doing so makes the top nice and straight, but pre-loads the top and I am not sure if this would adversely affect the movement of the table during seasonal changes. Has anyone been under this situation before and if so, how did your table stand the test of time?

Thank you for any insight you can provide. FYI, this is my very first furniture project.
    Last edited by Steven Hans; 06-08-2009 at 9:50 PM. Reason: want to say thanks to any responders.

Wood Movement

You have to allow for wood movement How wide is the top? Did you alternate the annual rings up and down? How wide were the boards you glued up to make the tops? Definitely elongate the holes in the plywood in the direction of the movement and don't over tighten the screws.

It's going to depend on how much bow your talking about. Generally speaking you want the top to be flat so that you just snug the screws. If your having to really torque them down to flatten the top, you'll be restricting the movement and it may end up causing the top to fail over time.
    JeffD

I suppose that you could isolate the top and washers from the plywood with another layer of "lubricant" film, like teflon or UHMW so that, even with the added tightening the wood could still move. But I would also suspect that after a few months inside it's final environment, you wouldn't need the screws so tight.

But I was all prepared (after reading the title of this thread) to come in and remind you that this was a family forum....
    Whoops, It's all good.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aww, and here I thought this thread was about some fun you had in the kitchen

If it were mine, I'd find where the curving starts and rip the top; joint; re-glue. A table with it's back to the wall can suffer some loss of overhang at the rear.
    As a method of work, I always glue up panels before I start making anything else on a project. Gives them more time to misbehave if they're so inclined.

Ha Ha! I just got my title

Anyway, thank you for all the info. I certainly did alternate the growth rings. Smiley-Sad-Smiley-Sad (4 boards total). This was the first glued top that I ever did and the second one is pretty much dead flat. However, There was one board that was cupped and 3 that were flat. I decided to use this cupped board and that was a no-no. However, before I screwed the top on, I did check how bad the warp is and it was not bad. I could turn the top upside-down and push in the center with my hand and it would go flat with minimal pressure. Not all the way but mostly with a 1/16" gap. When I screwed the top on, I clamped the top in place flatting the top and then drove in the pan screws with washers. I used the Kreg fine thread 1-1/4" so that I didn't have to pre-drill. I also set my drill at 8 and drove the screws in. Therefore, I didn't really need to torque the screws but when I release the clamps I know that there will be more tension in the screw. I am not sure if this will hurt anything. I will let it be and see how it goes over time. I know if wood wants to move, it will and will split a very strong glue joint. The question here is, is the glue joint much stronger then the tensioned screws in the slots?

Forgot to mention, the boards are around 4-1/2" wide to make a top that is 18-1/2" depth and the width is 21". I followed the Wood Store plans closely, but did read that it is best to have your boards around 2-1/2 to 3" somewhere to remove any issue of cupping. And the holes in the back are elongated! 1/2" slot actually with a 1/2" wide counterbored slot for the washers.
    Last edited by Steven Hans; 06-09-2009 at 1:14 PM.

I went ahead and checked by hand to see if the screws in back are over torqued. You see I used my hand drill set at 8 to drive the screws in. I was able to turn the screw loose easily, so I turned it back a hair to snug it up. I will definitely post in the future to let you know if there are any problems. I guess in Jan when the humidity is way low and my hands start cracking.

you could fasten a batten under the top inside the stretchers to pull it into place. put your screws in the batten in the middle and don't fasten the ends.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    If it were mine, I'd find where the curving starts and rip the top; joint; re-glue. A table with it's back to the wall can suffer some loss of overhang at the rear.
    As a method of work, I always glue up panels before I start making anything else on a project. Gives them more time to misbehave if they're so inclined.
    Ditto to Joe's suggestion! I learned that the hard way.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Another school of thought says you should not alternate annual rings because you risk ending up with a washboard effect. Aligning the rings in the same direction is more likely to result in a simple arch, which if turned concave side down can be controlled using a batten in the way that Harry describes.

I can’t remember where I read this but I’m pretty sure it was from Tage Frid.
    RD

Hi Richard,
    What do you mean by washboard effect?

I always alternate the grain and would prefer a washboard than a smiley face warp. heh

Lee valley sells figure 8 washers for cheap that I use for attaching solid wood tops to an apron to allow lateral movement of the top.

I found the article I was thinking of on the FWW site.
    It’s called Textbook Mistakes by Tage Frid.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011002037.pdf

There are those who advocate flipping orientation of growth rings and those who feel they should be all orientated the same way. I think there is room for both approaches depending on the circumstances and priorities of the project.

In this example using flat sawn wood:

If you keep the rings orientated in the same direction and the boards end up cupping you get an arch. An arch can be held flat by anchoring at the center with the edges simply riding on the rails or a batten. This lets the wood expand and contract across its width.

If you flip every other board one will cup up, the next down and so on resulting in a S shape, or washboard, which will be difficult to keep flat.

The degree of cupping of course depends on many factors.

Heck.
    Never mind – just use quarter sawn.

washboard.gif
    RD

further question

Perhaps I should post this as a new question, but just following on here I was wondering a related question: if a tabletop is small (just 13" across grain), does it need to allow for wood movement, or can I just screw it in on both sides and with minimal movement it will be OK? It is 6 foot long but just 13 inches across, pine, will be painted, is being attached to carcase/face frames below.

Should have figured out before the cabinets were assembled of course, but that has not been my woodworking style -http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif- so at this point I really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tim