Thread: Delta x5 15" Planer

Delta x5 15" Planer

There is one listed on the local CL for $800 or best offer, this is the second time I have seen it listed. If you have this planer, are you satisfied with it and do you think this is a good price. Thanks, Bob V.

Sort of...mine is a 22-680, a forerunner of the switch to the X-5 moniker (the differences are very minor). Mine is a little over 6 years old and has been a workhorse. These models (motor on the top) are a little more cramped to get in and change the blades, but it's still not that tough to do. Mine will have a Byrd head once my government stimulus money shows up . To me, $800 is the very upper end of what I would consider paying. Mine was $1000 with freight, and they sell now for about $1400. My criteria for used tools is 1/2 price more or less, and his price starts beyond that. But that's just my 2¢
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

I have the same model as Fred, and will agree with him on setting the blades. The upside on this planer is the lift up tables, most times I don't use roller stands on stock under 8'. I also like higher feed rate of 30 fpm, most of the other planers the high speed is 20 fpm
    The price of $800 is fair, check the low speed feed control, that it stays in place and doesn't come out under load. I have to replace the gear and have read that others have had this problem.
    David Werkheiser

hey Bob, I saw that too. Can't afford something like that right now but the machine looked pretty clean and the price seemed fair.

Bob, you say it's the 2nd CraigsListing of this planer. "OBO" does mean that the seller is willing to negotiate! $800 is not FIRM! Nobody wanted it at that price during the previous exposure on CL. Go view the planer in person, and check it out under power if possible. See what it is really worth to you! Take Cash with you. Offer the guy $600 Cash! If he holds out adamantly, offer $700! And show him the CASH! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-09-2009 at 4:27 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip is absolutely right. Never even consider paying full asking price unless the seller explicitely states that he will not negotiate, and even then it can depend.

Also, I never use a hard and fast rule when determining value for used machinery. Condition isn't the only factor. Also include scarcity, as many machines, particularily older ones, can be quite difficult to find. Not to mention how desperate the seller is to get rid of it.

If you aren't particularily keen on this make/model, and are just looking for a 15" planer, I would focus on condition. If its very clean and it runs very well, I'd probably pay close to asking price. If its not, $600 is probably a better price...

$800 is the upper limit on this machine, IMHO. Three years ago, I bought a friends, in like new condition, with an extra set of sharp knives for $600. Locally here is a Grizzlly 15" (basically the same machine) for $400.