Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie advice needed - which lathe to buy?

Newbie advice needed - which lathe to buy?

So, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to woodturning, but I'd really like to have a lathe.

Right now it's mainly because I'd like to turn dowels, handles and other small items. This would probably indicate that the obvious choice is a rather small lathe.

However, my philosophy has always been to buy only once and make that buy the right choice from the beginning.

I foresee that I'd like to try bowl turning sometime in the future, but most likely not table or chair legs as that is simply not my style (round legs that is).

On top of this I'd of course like to keep it as cheap as possible.

So, what should I buy if I want the best - but doesn't want to pay a premium?

Pointers about what chucks and other accessories that should be available for the lathe are also very welcome.

Thanks!
    Niels

I have a Jet 1014. It's a good small lathe, but pricey, as far as small lathes. The 1220 is about the same price, although I have not used one. I personally like it beter than the Rikon mini, BUT, if it were available at the time I bought the Jet, it would have been a hard choice. The Rikon is better deal, price wise. Of course, they are lots of on-line choices also.

Can't turn a salad bowl on a cheap lathe though. They all be too small.

Buy the biggest you can afford today!

Niels, When I got back into turning about 5-6 years ago I was using an off brand 12" swing 36" bed lathe that my Dad bought locally for $225.00. It worked and still is in the shop, but has had many updates added to it to make it a truly useful lathe. But now I have a PM3520B and a small Steel City mini lathe I use for demos and turning miniatures etc. I use all 3 lathes so the thing is this, I can turn everything on the big lathe that I can on the 2 smaller lathes but sometimes it is nice to use the smaller lathes for certain things so buy the best and biggest you can afford and you can sell some things and get a mini/midi later or get the best small lathe now and upgrade later. But eventually you will end up with more than one lathe, the Vortex is strong and turning is such a wonderful thing to keep the mind and body sharp! Have fun and enjoy which ever lathe you get!

Welcome and have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Neils,

The Jet 1220 seems to be a very popular small lathe. My neighbor has one and loves it!

I would suggest you contact Rasmus and see what he has to recommend that won't break the bank in your part of the world! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=25501

Whatever lathe you decide on - looking forward to seeing photos of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Don't overlook the Nova you can sometimes pick up a good used lathe when someone moves up to the biggies.

You are in Denmark. Most of us from this side of the Atlantic do not familiar with the choices you have. I would suggest you find your local turning club and ask for help there.
    Some lathes are inexpensive for a reason. I would rather have a quality mini lathe than a mediocre full size lathe. When the lathe is vibrating or misaligned, it will take all the fun out of woodturning. You can't write on a galloping horse back. You can't get a steady finish cut when the lathe is shaking either. If you are on a tight budget, you may want to look for a good used lathe. Wood turners do upgrade their lathes all the time, your local club may be a good source.
    Knowledge is king. Tools won't make you a woodturner. Unlike other woodworking tools, the wood is spinning at high speed and the tools are usually held free hand, usually there is no fence or jig to guide the cut. How you present the cutting edge towards the blank makes the difference.
    Gordon

Buying once and as cheaply as possible probably won't work out too well. Many people start with a mini lathe and then move up to a larger lathe. They tend to hang on to the smaller one for pens, and other small items as well. I've still got my Fisch mini and my 3520b.

As has been suggested, find a turning club or a friend that has a lathe and ask to try theirs. If you can turn on several, you'll find out what you like. Bet it won't be the cheapest one either.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Niels,
    A good quality 12" lathe will get you as far as turning small to medium size bowls, and that might be enough for you for 6 months or five years. Just depends upon how strong your personal vortex becomes. I strongly recommend spending the extra money for electronic variable speed. This feature is most useful for a beginner, but many of us turn for years before finally getting an EVS machine.
    Richard in Wimberley

I was in the same spot 2 years ago just starting, with laths there is no disadvantage getting something bigger. If you have the cash get your end game lathe since the accessories you will buy will only fit that lathe. Look for one used that helps.

I wound up getting a Power matic 3520B it is the best bang for buck in the larger lathes. Glad I did it is one nice machine and does everything I have asked of it in the 2 years I have had it and I have not even come close to it's potentional. Other than that the Jets 1220 is a step down and very popular sounds like that may work. Thoes are probably the two most popular lathes to buy new. There are a ton of other good lathes out there so look around. Also look for a turning club in your area and go for a night and talk to people.

Hope this helps a bit.
    -=Jason=-

The Jet 1236, and its clones are quite popular around my area. There are several manufacturers that relabel this same lathe, Central Machinery, Grizzly, among them.

Being unfamiliar with what you have available to you in Europe however doesn't help things in the least... I would suggest that you check with a local turning club if you have one, or maybe a more local site.... Maybe there is a member here that is from your area that can add his or her suggestions...

Like you I am new to turning, but having a hoot doing it. My equipment for turning so far is...

Central Machinery #34706 (Jet 1236 clone) lathe.
    WoodRiver 4 jaw self centering chuck.
    Benjamin's Best 8pc HSS lathe tool set.
    Ryobi BGH616 6" Bench Grinder. (No Aluminum Oxide wheels yet. I keep a cup of water next to the grinder when sharpening, and dunk between each pass).
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I started with a Jet mini lathe. I used it for all types of things while learning how to use gouges and such. I then bought a PM 3520b and would do it again if given the choice. I love my 3520b and it handles all the big chunks I send it's way. I still use my jet mini and in fact, I used it last weekend to make some game calls.

Manuverability is great with the mini whereas I probably wouldn't do pens and game calls on my PM 3520b

My mentor and one of the monitors on this site Dennis Peacock suggested to me to get the largest lathe that I can afford because it is cheaper in the long run. I bought a NOVA 1624-44 when it was on sale. It was the best purchase I've made. I wish the rest of my equipment were half as good as this lathe. To me it is the best price/performance lathe on the market.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

I will second the recommendation for the Nova 1624. I love it. I was a little worried about the need to change the belt for the speed changes but I can change the belt for faster or slower in about 15 seconds, so its not an issue at all.

2nd advise, get the SuperNova2 chuck. I really like mine as well.

Niels, you've had a lot of good advice but keep in mind that the lathe is only part of the picture. Here's an article with a few thoughts to ponder.

Getting Started in Woodturning

HTH!
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

My first lathe was a 4 pulley 1/2 hp lathe. I rebuilt it and turned a bunch on it for 2 years, and knew it was time to step up. I went to the PM. I turned on that for 8 years, and now have a Robust. Last fall, I got a Jet 1220VS mini lathe. I turn mostly bowls of all sizes, and a lot of smaller things. The mini lathe is great for smaller projects like boxes and small spindles where the big lathe is overkill. I prefer a sliding headstock to a pivoting one, or outboard turning. Once you have the variable speed option, you can't live without it. A PM clone, which I think is sold under the Jet brand is available in Europe, but I don't think it is as popular over there as it is here. I don't know where the nearest tool place is to you, but the Tool Post in London has a lot of things.
    robo hippy